ECC's Project Backpack provides supplies to local students
Elgin Community College and its partners are preparing for Project Backpack, a community-based initiative to benefit area students in need from Elgin Area School District U-46, Algonquin-based Community Unit District 300, Central Unit District 301, St. Charles Unit District 303, Kaneland Unit District 302, or ECC District 509.
The committee is coordinating backpacks, school supplies, and/or resources for students in need this fall.
Supply kits will be provided to the districts for distribution at their discretion prior to the start of the school year. Your child's school or district will provide any further information.
"The Project Backpack Committee is grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with local school districts to distribute supplies directly to families once again," said Megan Highland, ECC student life coordinator and Project Backpack chair.
For ECC students, supplies will be available while supplies last starting Aug. 1, in the Spartan Pantry in Building B, Room B175, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Hours may vary once the semester begins on Aug. 21. Proof of fall enrollment and a photo ID will be required.
For questions about receiving a backpack, please reach out to the following contact for your district:
• Elgin Area School District U-46, Karla Jiménez at (847) 888-5000, ext. 4211 or ext. 6768 or KarlaJimenez@u-46.org;
• Algonquin-based Community Unit District 300, Jazmin Gongora at email@example.com;
• St. Charles Unit District 303, Angela Meisenheimer at firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Kaneland Unit District 302, Julie-Ann Fuchs at email@example.com;
• Burlington Central Unit District 301, Michelle Vaughn at firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Elgin Math and Science Charter School, Jacquelyn Willer at email@example.com;
• ECC, Megan Highland at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 214-7659.
Project Backpack accepts monetary donations only again this year to help purchase backpacks and supplies.
To make a donation or to learn about sponsorship opportunities, visit project-backback.org.
Community members can donate by check, addressed and made payable to: ECC Foundation, 1700 Spartan Dr., Elgin, IL 60123. Please write "Project Backpack" in the memo line.
Local agencies wishing to share their services and programs with families are invited to participate by providing a resource handout that can be inserted into backpacks. For more guidelines and to sign up as an agency participant, visit project-backback.org.
The Project Backpack committee includes individuals from Elgin Community College, ECC Faculty Association, ECCP3, Healthcare Plus Elgin, Kane County Regional Office of Education, Kane County Teachers Credit Union, and Elgin Area School District U-46.
More than 20,200 students from preschool to college have been served since 2010.