Chicago cultural destinations focus of spring program series
Vernon Area and Indian Trails are among the 41 public libraries partnering to offer "Your City @ Home," a series of virtual field trips and lectures from nine world-class, Chicago-area cultural destinations.
The online events kicked off Saturday, April 5, with an at-capacity Shedd Aquarium event. Your City @ Home continues each weekend through May.
The series includes virtual tours of and talks from household favorites like the Chicago Children's Museum, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum, along with the opportunity to discover smaller institutions such as the National Museum of Mexican Art and the DuSable Museum of African American History.
"We are excited to offer this safe and accessible way of 'visiting' so many excellent Chicago-area cultural treasures right now," said Vernon Area Library Program Coordinator Roz Topolski.
"We hope these events help those who are feeling stuck at home to experience something fun and maybe discover some new places to eventually visit in person."
The events are free, open to all and are hosted on the Zoom platform. Registration is required and is available by calling or visiting the websites of any of the partnering libraries, including the Vernon Area Public Library, www.vapld.info, and the Indian Trails Public Library, www.indiantrailslibrary.org.
Scheduled upcoming sessions include:
• DuSable Museum of African American History, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, April 10.
• Garfield Park Conservatory, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, April 17.
• National Museum of Mexican Art, 2-3 p.m. Saturday, April 24
• Chicago Children's Museum, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, May 1
• Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, 2-3 p.m. Saturday, May 8
• The Art Institute of Chicago, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, May 15
• Field Museum, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, May 22
• Elmhurst History Museum, 2-3 p.m. Saturday, May 29
The participating libraries are: Algonquin Area, Antioch, Arlington Heights, Bellwood, Cary Area, Clarendon Hills, Cook Memorial, Crystal Lake, Deerfield, Ela Area, Fox River Valley, Fremont, Gail Borden, Glencoe, Glenview, Grayslake Area, Highland Park, Homer Township, Huntley Area, Indian Trails, Lake Bluff, Lake Villa, Lincolnwood, Matteson Area, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles-Maine, Plainfield, Prospect Heights, Round Lake Area, Schaumburg Township, Shorewood-Troy, South Holland, St. Charles, Vernon Area, Warren-Newport, Wauconda Area, Westchester, Wheaton, Woodridge and Woodstock.
• To submit Your news, go to dailyherald.com/share.