Schaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns June 5 with New Safety Protocols, Operating Procedures
Schaumburg's 2020 Farmers Market--featuring locally-produced fruits, vegetables, baked goods and more--returns June 5 and will run every Friday through October 30 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of Trickster Art Gallery, 190 S. Roselle Road in Town Square.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Schaumburg Farmers Market will look quite different this season operating as an "In-and-Out" market only. No entertainment, music or community programming will take place this year and no seating will be available at the market. Pets and bikes will also not be permitted at the market.
Following guidelines from the Illinois Farmers Market Association and University of Illinois Extension Service as well as continued guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), the following safety protocols and operating procedures will be implemented for the 2020 market season:
• All market patrons, vendors, staff and volunteers will be required to wear face coverings at all times.
• This year's market will have only one entrance and one exit both containing hand sanitizing stations. Patrons will be asked to sanitize their hands before entering and upon leaving the market.
• The time-period from 7 a.m. until 7:30 a.m. will be designated exclusively for shoppers over the age of 65.
• The number of shoppers allowed into the market at one time will be limited and determined by the Market Manager and monitored by staff and volunteers.
• Patrons will be asked to limit household attendance at the market, when possible.
• Patrons will be expected to maintain six feet of distance between other individuals both inside the market and in the waiting line outside the market. Staff and volunteers will mark spaces in the waiting line indicating the proper separation distance between customers.
• Food consumption and sampling inside the market grounds will be prohibited. Patrons will be able to consume food purchased at the market in public areas outside the market grounds, including the park grounds adjacent to the nearby Town Square pond.
• Online ordering from vendors in advance will be encouraged and pick-up onsite will be available.
• Customers should not touch any products at a booth until purchased and bagged by the vendor.
• Customers using reusable shopping bags must place purchased products inside the bag themselves and wash or sanitize bags at home after every use.
• Customers will be encouraged to pay with debit or credit cards. No change will be given for cash transactions. Vendors will be required to sanitize their credit card processor after each transaction.
Market vendors will be limited to food products only, including agricultural and value-added products. A complete list of vendors is available on the village's website at www.schaumburg.com as well as in flyers distributed by staff and volunteers onsite.
For more information about the 2020 Schaumburg Farmers Market, visit the village's website at www.schaumburg.com, email Martha Dooley at email@example.com or dial 311 in the village.