U-46 elementary schools to host kindergarten registration nights
Elgin Area School District U-46 is encouraging parents and guardians whose children will begin kindergarten next fall to attend a registration event in February at their neighborhood school.
These registration events will allow parents to reserve a seat for their prospective kindergartner for the 2020-21 school year.
"We are excited to welcome the class of 2033 and their families," said Peggy Ondera, Director of Early Learners Program. "Kindergarten is a huge and exciting step for students, and we like to start building our relationship with our early scholars and their families as early as possible."
New this year, the parents of incoming kindergarten students will also be able to register any other students in their households upon the beginning of registration on Feb. 10.
Even if an older student attends a different school, registration can be handled at the incoming kindergarten student's home school. No fees will be collected at the registration events.
U-46 launched full-day kindergarten in 2016 for more than 2,500 students across 40 elementary schools and two early childhood centers.
The school district's full-day kindergarten program features the following elements:
• Flexible time and space for children to choose activities that are designed for them to work at their own pace without pressure.
• Opportunities for peer collaboration, allowing students to build teamwork skills, whether they are working on a puzzle or creating a work of art together.
• Respectful relationships between teachers and other learners. We teach and model collaboration among teachers and students and respect for inquiries and discussion.
U-46 is the second-largest district in the state, serving more than 38,000 in 57 schools and programs. The District offers an award-winning dual language program, universal testing for gifted education, a high school magnet academy program, a dual credit program with Elgin Community College, Advanced Placement classes and more. Last year, U-46 was one of 13 school districts in Illinois named one of the Best Communities for Music Education by the NAMM Foundation.
To be eligible to enter kindergarten next fall, children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2020. Parents should bring their child's birth certificate and two documents showing proof of local residency (street address and town) within U-46 boundaries. The events are designed to be drop-in opportunities, and parents should expect to spend about 30 minutes at the school.
At the events, school staff will help families fill out five forms, which can also be downloaded and filled out ahead of time in English or Spanish:
• Proof of local U-46 residency and custody form;
• Race and ethnicity form;
• Home language survey;
• Language and educational background form;
• Health services: pre-admission health form.
By encouraging families to register incoming kindergarten students now, the elementary schools will be better able to keep families up-to-date on relevant information. Families will also have more time to schedule screenings as needed through the Family Welcome Center.
For more information about documentation of local residency, visit the Kindergarten Registration webpage at www.u-46.org. This page can help families identify their home school, or they can call U-46's Registration Department at 847-888-5000, ext. 5715, or ext. 5016 (for Spanish).
Additionally, information is available on the website about what is needed for families new to U-46 versus families who are already part of the U-46 system.
Families who are new to U-46 can complete the online kindergarten application from home prior to kindergarten registration nights. U-46 still asks new families to attend the kindergarten registration night at their home school to present their child's birth certificate and proof of U-46 residency. Completing the online kindergarten application in advance will save families and staff time during the registration night.
Current U-46 families with an incoming kindergarten student can preregister online before or at the registration event. They will need their Infinite Campus Parent Portal username and password to log on. Those who register online beforehand should bring their online application number, along with all required paperwork, to kindergarten registration at their home school. Parents will also have the opportunity to register their entire household for the upcoming school year.
Online registration is required for families who have an incoming kindergarten student currently enrolled in a U-46 preschool. They should bring all required paperwork to the kindergarten registration at their home elementary school.
Each elementary school is hosting a kindergarten registration event.
• Monday, Feb. 10: 4 to 6 p.m. at Century Oaks and Clinton; 4 to 7 p.m. Coleman and Hilltop; and 5 to 7 p.m. at Hawk Hollow and Prairieview
• Tuesday, Feb. 11: 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Washington; 4 to 6 p.m. at Garfield, Lincoln and Wayne; 4 to 7 p.m. at Laurel Hill and Lords Park; and 5 to 7 p.m. at Fox Meadow and Liberty
• Wednesday, Feb. 12: 3:30 to 6 p.m. at Sycamore Trails and Timber Trails; 4 to 6 p.m. at Centennial, Channing, Heritage, McKinley and Nature Ridge; 4 to 7 p.m. at Ronald D. O'Neal and Sunnydale; 5 to 7 p.m. at Huff; and 5 to 8 p.m. at Hanover Countryside, Parkwood
• Thursday, Feb. 13: 3 to 5 p.m. at Willard; 3 to 5:30 p.m. at Harriet Gifford; 3:30 to 6 p.m. at Glenbrook; 4 to 6 p.m. at Creekside, Lowrie, Otter Creek and Ridge Circle; 4 to 7 p.m. at Bartlett, Highland and Oakhill; 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Horizon; and 5 to 7 p.m. at Hillcrest, Ontarioville and Spring Trail.