Elgin Area League to host 8 candidate forums in March
The League of Women Voters of the Elgin Area invites the community to attend the moderated candidate forums before the April 2 consolidated election. A half-hour before each forum starts, voters will have the opportunity to talk informally to the candidates in a "meet and greet."
• The league's Rutland-Dundee Townships Committee will host the first forum with candidates for the Sleepy Hollow Village Board from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, March 7, at the Sleepy Hollow Village Hall, 1 Thorobred Lane. The race has four candidates for three trustee seats.
• On Saturday, March 9, the Elgin candidate forum will be 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Meadows Community Room at Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave., Elgin. Two candidates are running for Elgin mayor, and there are seven city council candidates for four 4-year terms, and the three city council candidates for one 2-year seat.
• On Tuesday, March 12, the Dundee area candidate forum will be 7 to 9 p.m. at the Rakow Senior Center, 665 Barrington Ave., Carpentersville. There are six candidates for three seats on the Rutland-Dundee Fire Protection District board. Four candidates are vying for three seats on the East Dundee Village Board.
• On Wednesday, March 13, the Gilberts candidate forum will be 7 to 9 p.m. at the Gilberts Village Hall, 87 Galligan Road. Five candidates are vying for three seats on the Gilberts Village Board.
• On Thursday, March 14, the West Dundee candidate forum will be 7 to 9 p.m. at the West Dundee Village Hall, 102 S. Second St. Four candidates are vying for three seats on the West Dundee Village Board.
• On Tuesday, March 19, the candidate forum for District 300 and ECC will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. at Rakow Senior Center, 665 Barrington Ave., Carpentersville. The Community Unit District 300 school board has five candidates for four seats. Five candidates are vying for two seats on the Elgin Community College District 509 board of trustees.
• On Thursday, March 21, the library candidate forum will be 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Elgin Room at Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave., Elgin. There are six candidates for four seats on the Gail Borden Public Library board.
• On Saturday, March 23, a candidate forum for U-46 and ECC will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Meadows Community Room at Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave., Elgin. Eight candidates are running for four seats on the Elgin Area School District U-46 board, and five candidates are vying for two seats on the Elgin Community College District 509 board of trustees.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan, issue-oriented political organization that holds voter education as a primary mission. This is why the League sponsors these forums. The league does not endorse or recommend candidates for office and it is neutral with regard to the candidates who are the focus of this forum.
The League is not responsible for the accuracy of statements made by the candidates. The candidates will be requested to address a specific question(s) in their opening remarks.
Audience questions will be written and collected by League members. Questions are to address issues, not personalities. The League reserves the right to screen questions, and there should be only one question per card. The audience is asked to remain silent and in their seats during the forum. The audience is not permitted to respond in any audible way to the candidates.