We're committed to high school sports coverage
Hey there, Spartans and Titans! Welcome to Herald City. We are excited to include coverage of your high school sports to our suburban mission.
We know things about Glenbrook North and Glenbrook South sports teams. Each school is a member of the Central Suburban League conference, a league that also includes Herald City schools Maine West, Maine South, Maine East and Vernon Hills.
But while we don't know everything about your schools, we will strive to learn as much as we can.
Some things we do know:
• In 2005, when GBN won the state boys basketball championship, it became the first large enrollment school in IHSA history to win state titles in football, basketball and baseball.
• GBS boys basketball coach Phil Ralston is a good friend of Herald City, having come to Glenview from Geneva.
• GBN has had some of the more notable suburban graduates play sports for the Spartans. Jon Scheyer, who led the Spartans to the 2004-05 state basketball title, is now an associate head coach at Duke, where he played on the 2010 national championship team. Jason Kipnis, now playing for the Cubs, is a GBN alum. And, of course, Northwestern men's basketball coach Chris Collins is also a proud North graduate.
• We know that former GBS girls basketball coach Howard Romanek, who led the Titans to the 1993-94 state title, was one of the nicest guys to ever coach in high school.
Now here are some things you need to know about us.
• We cover high school sports like no other media outlet in the suburbs. Our high school sports staff is made up of longtime veterans of their trade and you won't find a group of sports writers anywhere who are more passionate about what they do for a living.
• Our mission is to bring out the positives of the student-athletes we cover first and foremost. It's a mission ingrained in each of us by our longtime mentor Bob Frisk, who worked for the Daily Herald for 50 years. Bob passed away recently but the way he taught us to cover high school sports will live forever.
• We are always accessible. We want to hear from you, our readers, and we look forward to your feedback.
What we all hope for, more than anything, is the return of high school sports. The COVID-19 pandemic may have put things on hold for now, but when athletes and coaches return, we will be there to tell their stories.
In the meantime, we haven't stopped working, and we're looking forward to becoming a part of the fabric of Northbrook and Glenview, of Glenbrook North and Glenbrook South.
We want to hear about you, and we want to tell your stories. Don't hesitate to drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with ideas of what you'd like to see in these pages.
Welcome, Spartans and Titans! We look forward to becoming a part of your sports memories.