Dining out: Fat Rosie's, IllumiBrew, turkey to-go and more
Fat Rosie's now open in Naperville
Fat Rosie's Taco & Tequila Bar, which plates modern yet traditional Mexican fare in a lively atmosphere, recently opened its second location in downtown Naperville. From empanadas, enchiladas and tacos to tequilas and colorful margaritas, the restaurant's 108-seat dining room features retractable garage doors that open to a 12-seat patio in warmer weather. Don't miss the eating challenge: the El Patron Gordo Burrito. It's free to guests who can eat it in less than 12 minutes. Hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, with Sunday brunch coming soon. Fat Rosie's Taco & Tequila Bar is at 47 E. Chicago Ave., Naperville, (630) 328-0060 or fatrosies.com/naperville.
If you can't wait for Saturday's opening of Morton Arboretum's Illumination, check out the park's new IllumiBrew preview and beer-tasting event for adults from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16. Sample seasonal and specialty beers from 20 local breweries -- including Alter Brewing Company, Church Street Brewing Company, Midnight Pig Beer, Pollyanna Brewing Company and more -- stationed outdoors along the path while enjoying Illumination's new features. Warm up inside in the Ginkgo Restaurant while listening to live music by AD3 Acoustic Trio from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Snacks and hot beverages will be available for purchase along the path. Tickets, which are $50 for members and $55 for nonmembers, include 12 3-ounce beer tastings and entry to Illumination. Designated driver tickets are $25 and include Illumination entry, one hot beverage (cocoa or cider), and unlimited soda and water. Buy tickets at (630) 725-2066 or registeronline.mortonarb.org/. Morton Arboretum is at 4100 Route 53, Lisle, (630) 968-0074 or mortonarb.org/.
New Kuma's Corner
If you have a hankering for a burger and metal music, you're in luck. Kuma's Corner, which serves both, recently opened a second suburban location, this time at Mellody Farm in Vernon Hills. Try burgers like the Slayer, a 10-ounce burger served on a bed of fries and topped with chili, caramelized onions, andouille sausage, cherry peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, scallions and anger sauce; or the Famous Kuma, topped with applewood-smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, fried egg, lettuce, tomato and red onion. This month's featured burger is the Sleep: housemade turkey patty, tempura fried sage and onion stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey gravy and fried sage. Kuma's Corner is at 925 N. Milwaukee Ave., Suite 100, Vernon Hills, kumascorner.com/.
Fall of Fame at RAM
The RAM Restaurant & Brewery is continuing to raise funds this week for the nonprofit group Everyone For Veterans, which connects local communities to those who served. The RAM will donate $1 from every Hometown Blonde Ale to the charity now through Sunday, Nov. 18. Also, RAM has brought back some of its favorite limited-time dishes for its Fall of Fame menu. Enjoy chicken flautas, buffalo cauliflower wings, the Bravocado burger, the Impossible burger, Mario's Diablo burger, the barbecue citrus salad, the Sergeant Pepper burger, the Nantucket fish sandwich and housemade chocolate peanut butter pie now through Sunday, Nov. 26. RAM Restaurant & Brewery has locations at 9520 Higgins Road, Rosemont, (847) 692-4426, and 700 N. Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling, (847) 520-1222. theram.com/.
Potbelly Sandwich Shop is offering a turducken sandwich and pumpkin pie shake for a limited time.
- Courtesy of Potbelly
Turducken at Potbelly
Potbelly Sandwich Shop is going seasonal with the new limited-time turducken sandwich. It's a combo of turkey, duck and chicken toasted with cornbread stuffing and topped with a cranberry-honey sauce and a choice of fixings. For dessert, sip on the pumpkin pie shake, made with a whole slice of pumpkin pie mixed with vanilla ice cream, or the pumpkin pie smoothie, made with low-fat frozen yogurt and milk. Potbelly Sandwich Shop has locations throughout the suburbs. potbelly.com/.
Houlihan's has added the Fall Farmers' Market Bowl to its menu for a limited time.
- Courtesy of Houlihan's
Flavors of fall
Houlihan's has added some new limited-time-only menu items courtesy of The Test Kitchen Project. Try dishes like the steak ramen bowl, shrimp and cauliflower "grits" bowl, Fall Farmers' Market Bowl, Thai chicken noodle bowl, white bean and artichoke hummus and the salted caramel gooey butter cake. Houlihan's has locations in Algonquin, Geneva, Naperville, Orland Park and Wheaton. houlihans.com/.
Turkey times two
Time to get bowling at Pinstripes. During the month of November, for every "turkey" (three strikes in a row) bowled, Pinstripes will donate the cost of a turkey to No Kid Hungry and give the bowler a frozen turkey. Pinstripes is at 1150 Willow Road, Northbrook, (847) 480-2323; 7 Oakbrook Center Mall, Oak Brook, (630) 575-8700; and 100 W. Higgins Road, South Barrington, (847) 844-9300. pinstripes.com/.
Skeleton Key Brewery will be serving up special Thanksgiving-inspired flights on Black Wednesday, Nov. 21. Try specialties such as Sage Wit, Cranberry Saison and Toasted Pumpkin Seed Porter with Smoked Marshmallow. Skeleton Key Brewery is at 8102 Lemont Road, Unit 300, Woodridge, (630) 395-9033 or skeletonkeybrewery.com/.
Tuscany Wheeling is hosting a half-price food happy hour from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21, for Black Wednesday.
- Courtesy of Tuscany
Black Wednesday specials
• Need a little pick-me-up before Thanksgiving? Tuscany in Oak Brook is offering half-off wines by the glass and bottles (no reserve) on Wednesday, Nov. 21. Take a break from shopping on Black Friday (Nov. 23) with complimentary appetizers from 4 to 7 p.m. The restaurant is at 1415 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, (630) 990-1993 or tuscanychicago.com/location/oak-brook/.
• If you'll be in Wheeling on Black Wednesday, Nov. 21, head over to Tuscany for the half-price food happy hour from 4 to 6 p.m. with the purchase of a beverage (orders must be placed before 6 p.m.; $5 plate-sharing fee; no exceptions, no substitutions). Tuscany is at 550 S. Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling, (847) 465-9988 or tuscanychicago.com/location/wheeling/.
Bub City Rosemont is offering a Thanksgiving Feast To Go this year.
- Courtesy of Christina Slaton
Last-minute Thanksgiving to-go
Still haven't figured out what you're serving for Thanksgiving? You're in luck with these feasts to go.
• Bien Trucha Group: Feast on Thanksgiving specialties such as pavo adobado (boneless turkey breast -- approximately 6 pounds -- with apple cider-guajillo pepper), elotes (grilled corn with epazote butter) and arroz (white rice, poblano pepper, Chihuahua cheese and crema) for $99. The takeout meal, which feeds eight to 10 people, is $99. Order by 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 19, for pick up between 11:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21, at one of three locations: Bien Trucha in Geneva, Quiubo in Naperville or A Toda Madre in Glen Ellyn. bientruchagroup.com/store/catering/.
• Bub City Rosemont: The Thanksgiving Feast To Go features a whole smoked turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and more. It serves eight and costs $29.95 per person plus tax. Order by Wednesday, Nov. 21, for pickup between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 22. (847) 261-0399 or bub-city.com/rosemont/.
• Di Pescara: Order from the Northbrook restaurant's Thanksgiving carryout menu by Monday, Nov. 19, for pick up from noon to 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 22. (847) 498-4321 or di-pescara.com/.
• Shaw's Crab House Schaumburg: Enjoy an array of holiday sides, appetizers and pies like the mini crabcakes, mashed sweet potatoes and pecan pie from the Holiday Sides and Pies Menu. Order by Wednesday, Nov. 21, for pickup Thursday, Nov. 22. (847) 517-2722 or shawscrabhouse.com/schaumburg/.
• Email email@example.com with suburban dining events.