Communities » Westmont Area News
State trooper back on duty after near-fatal crashAn Illinois state trooper is returning to work 20 months after nearly being killed by a drunken driving suspect.Last Updated May 24, 2016 12:36 PM
College of DuPage looking to keep tuition, taxes flatUpdated May 22, 2016 10:57 PM
College of DuPage officials are planning to keep tuition flat and hold the line on property taxes during the next fiscal year, even though the school is expecting to get zero financial support from the state.
Panel suggests ways for College of DuPage to keep its accreditationUpdated May 20, 2016 5:12 PM
A College of DuPage task force has developed a list of recommendations for how to resolve issues raised by an accreditation agency that put the school on probation.
Frieght train strikes pedestrian in NapervilleUpdated May 20, 2016 10:51 AM
A westbound Metra train has been stopped in Naperville after a freight train struck a pedestrian between the Route 59 and Aurora train stations.
Woodridge man gets 18 years in prison for Radio Shack robberyUpdated May 19, 2016 4:41 PM
The gunman in a December 2013 armed robbery of a Downers Grove Radio Shack was sentenced Thursday to 18 years in prison.
Clinton stop came as surprise for Park Ridge mayorPosted May 19, 2016 5:12 AM
Park Ridge Mayor Marty Maloney tells columnist Kerry Lester he only learned about Hillary Clinton’s planned fundraiser today in her hometown as he was tucking into a plate of chicken and waffles about a week ago at The Pick Restaurant, site of the event and of a diner Clinton frequented in her youth.
Buffalo Theatre Ensemble returning to College of DuPageUpdated May 18, 2016 6:16 PM
Buffalo Theatre Ensemble will return to Glen Ellyn this fall after a two-year absence. The professional Equity company unveiled its new season Wednesday as officials celebrated BTE once again serving as the resident theater company at College of DuPage’s McAninch Arts Center.
Lester: Where will suburban homeless go after Journeys cuts?Updated May 23, 2016 10:34 AM
Many homeless people in the Northwest suburbs spend their days at Journeys’ Hope Center in Palatine, a program that aims to help them get back on their feet. But federal funding cuts could end that, columnist Kerry Lester writes.
Recently shared by others
- Annual gem, mineral, fossil, and jewelry show returns this weekend
- Chicago-area fleets reduce petroleum use by 25 million gallons in 2015
- Oakbrook Terrace Residents Have Fun at Kids Fit in Nature
- On June 8th in Westmont: ‘Understanding Social Security: A Look at the Bigger Picture’
- Civil War Days is an annual tradition in Naperville
- ASK Power hosts Sen. Durbin for plant tour
- Interior Design Student Earns RED Award
- Robert Cappetta Receives IMACC 2016 Teaching Excellence Award
- Residents’ grandson performs in brass band at The Birches
- Billy Graham Center For Evangelism at Wheaton College to Host Inaugural National Evangelism Conference
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
- Barth Pond on 55th Street floods over , closing the road.. Timothy Miskell
- A car gets engulfed by flooding waters on 55th Street in Downers Grove next to Barth Pond Timothy Miskell
- House along 55th Street in Westmont get their own little ponds. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding along 55th Street in Westmont today. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding along 55th Street spills out into side streets in Westmont. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
- On June 9,, 2015, the Rotary Club of Western Springs welcomed the recipients of their Club’s 2015 scholarships and their families to breakfast. The scholarship winners got a chance to share their experiences at Lyons Township High School as well as discuss their plans for college. Each year the Rotary Club of Western Springs performs their 500 Club fundraiser, which provides funding for three scholarships. In 2015 scholarships were awarded to Daniel Archundia (of Indian Head Park) winner of the Ken Means Scholarship Award; Victory Lampert (of La Grange Park) and Jeanne Caplice (of Western Springs.) Jason Dobrzynski
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
More Westmont News
- Westmont Sports
- Why community colleges want live mascots
- Westmont Business
- Federal money coming for West Chicago environmental cleanup
- Westmont Entertainment
- Buffalo Theatre Ensemble returning to College of DuPage
- Westmont Opinion
- Getting COD back on track
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
- Westmont High School
- 909 N. Oakwood Dr.
Westmont, Il 60559
Daily Herald Communities
- 41.79448, -87.976433
- DuPage County