Communities » Westmont Area News
Hundreds gather to remember 1990 Plainfield tornadoPlainfield residents remembered the 29 people who died in a tornado 25 years ago today. “This community came back after the tornado,” said Mayor Michael Collins. “We've grown, we've come together, we're strong and we're certainly looking forward to the future.”Last Updated Aug 29, 2015 7:45 AM
State charges DuPage tobacco store owner with tax fraudUpdated Aug 28, 2015 11:42 AM
A DuPage County man who ran tobacco store in Glendale Heights was arrested on charges of tax fraud and theft following a Illinois Department of Revenue investigation.
New DuPage forest preserve director talks about the futurePosted Aug 29, 2015 7:16 AM
The arrival this week of new Executive Director Michael Hullihan isn’t the only significant change at the DuPage County Forest Preserve District. Hullihan spent his first week as on the job bidding farewell to dozens of the agency’s most experienced employees.
State of the Suburbs: Recreation finds creative ways to expandUpdated Aug 29, 2015 11:48 AM
From golf course renovations to construction of fitness centers growth in public recreation facilities and initiatives abound throughout the suburbs.
State of Suburbs: Pent-up demand fueling auto marketUpdated Aug 29, 2015 11:47 AM
Although the Great Recession ended years ago, suburban Chicago auto dealers are still seeing pent-up demand drive new car sales up an average of 3 percent year over year.
Jail time for West Chicago woman who stole from PTOUpdated Aug 28, 2015 4:15 PM
A former West Chicago PTO treasurer pleaded guilty to stealing $15,000 from two PTOs to "put out fires" and solve her personal finance issues. She was sentenced to 60 days in jail.
Dawn patrol: Investigators seek clues in hazmat deaths; Ingleside victims identifiedUpdated Aug 28, 2015 6:02 AM
Investigators comb scene for clues in deaths at Des Plaines-area home. Two victims of Ingleside car crash identified. Glen Ellyn mulls how to handle downtown construction zones. Carpentersville receives federal grant for new ambulance equipment. Bulls' Rose 'confident' he'll be proven innocent of rape accusations. Giants club Chicago Cubs 9-1. Sox beat Seattle 4-2. Blackhawks, Elgin Country Club members team up for help former colleague's family.
Chicago man guilty in Addison garden-tool assaultUpdated Aug 27, 2015 12:09 PM
A judge found a Chicago man guilty of attacking an Addison man with a garden tool. Runaldo Ramsey, 35, was convicted of aggravated battery and home invasion. Prosecutors said an ex-girlfriend’s $50 debt sparked the attack.
DuPage County Board member set to announce bid for CongressUpdated Aug 26, 2015 7:52 PM
Republican DuPage County Board member Tonia Khouri of Aurora is set to announce her bid for Congress in the 11th Congressional District now occupied by Democrat Rep. Bill Foster of Naperville.
- Geneva man pleads guilty in DUI crash that killed two in Naperville
- DuPage keeping lobbyists for another year
- Addison man testifies about vicious attack, says it was over $50 debt
- Algonquin man accused of sex toy attack at haunted house gets probation, fine
- DuPage may discuss using bailiffs for court security to save money
- DuPage County might spend $284,000 to keep lobbyists
- Get answers to your college questions Saturday in Aurora
- Suburban Democrats key in Rauner vs. unions battle
- Dawn Patrol: Antioch woman charged in hit-and-run; missing Algonquin dog found after 15 days
- Dawn Patrol: Man killed in Wauconda robbery had BB gun, police say; Pedestrian killed by train in Mt. Prospect
- Duckworth, Foster, undecided on Iran deal
- Dawn Patrol: Body found along I-290; industrial building burns near Elk Grove
- Study: While heroin use spikes, treatment options drop in Illinois
Recently shared by others
- Birches resident reflects on life at 100
- Trees Downed in 2012 Storm Crafted into Stand for Local Bell
- Veterans invited to boat on the Fox River with local rowing clubs
- TMA Board Members Speak at DMDII Smart Manufacturing Panel
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- College of DuPage Hosts Open House on Sept. 16
- BACK TO SCHOOL WITH HOLLAND CHIROPRACTIC
- College of DuPage Centers to Host Express Registration Day on Sept. 1
- Tony Award-Winning Actor Brian Dennehy Headlines First Concert of the Elmhurst Symphony’s 55th Season
- Lettuce Entertain You’s M Burger opens in Aurora Aug. 27
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
- Barth Pond on 55th Street floods over , closing the road.. Timothy Miskell
- A car gets engulfed by flooding waters on 55th Street in Downers Grove next to Barth Pond Timothy Miskell
- House along 55th Street in Westmont get their own little ponds. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding along 55th Street in Westmont today. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding along 55th Street spills out into side streets in Westmont. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
- On June 9,, 2015, the Rotary Club of Western Springs welcomed the recipients of their Club’s 2015 scholarships and their families to breakfast. The scholarship winners got a chance to share their experiences at Lyons Township High School as well as discuss their plans for college. Each year the Rotary Club of Western Springs performs their 500 Club fundraiser, which provides funding for three scholarships. In 2015 scholarships were awarded to Daniel Archundia (of Indian Head Park) winner of the Ken Means Scholarship Award; Victory Lampert (of La Grange Park) and Jeanne Caplice (of Western Springs.) Jason Dobrzynski
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Westmont News
- Westmont Business
- State of the Suburbs: Recreation finds creative ways to expand
- State of Suburbs: Pent-up demand fueling auto market
- DuPage hopes to improve, not sell, convalescent center
- Westmont Entertainment
- Students, residents want theater group to return to COD
- DuPage hopes to improve, not sell, convalescent center
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
- Westmont High School
- 909 N. Oakwood Dr.
Westmont, Il 60559
Daily Herald Communities
- 41.79448, -87.976433
- DuPage County