U-46 high schools celebrate homecoming with students, alumni, community
Elgin Area School District U-46's five comprehensive high schools are gearing up for their Homecoming celebrations during the months of September and October.
The schools plan to honor members of the Class of 2020 in attendance after their senior years were upended by the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The lives of everyone in public education were changed in March of 2020 when we were forced to close our schools and transition to Distance Learning," said U-46 Superintendent Tony Sanders. "Members of the Class of 2020 had to miss out on a number of their senior-year milestones, and they celebrated their high school graduations virtually. I'm glad our high schools are shining a spotlight on these resilient alumni."
Athletes, staff, and participants will need to follow our COVID-19 mitigation strategies including wearing masks and practicing social distancing as much as possible.
The Homecoming schedules are as follows:
• Streamwood High School, 701 W. Schaumburg Road: Sunday, Sept. 12, to Saturday, Sept. 18. The school colors are gold and black. A tailgate and bonfire are set for 5:30 to 9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 13, in the school parking lot.
The Class of 2020 Tailgate will begin at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 17, at Millennium Field, with the homecoming game at 7:30 p.m. against Elgin High School
• Elgin High School, 1200 Maroon Drive: Sunday, Sept. 19, to Saturday, Sept. 25. The school colors are maroon and cream. The homecoming game will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24, against West Chicago High School. There will be a recognition of Class of 2020 alumni during the homecoming game. The alumni tent will feature free hot dogs; in-game recognition of class of 2020.
• Bartlett High School, 701 W. Schick Road: Sunday, Sept. 19, to Saturday, Sept. 25. The school colors are navy blue, hunter green and white. The homecoming parade will step off at 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 19. The parade route will be posted on school website. The Class of 2020 Tailgate will begin at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24, in the tent on the football field. The homecoming game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24, against Fenton High School.
• South Elgin High School, 760 E. Main St.: Sunday, Sept. 26, to Saturday, Oct. 2. The school colors are red, navy and silver. The homecoming parade will be Thursday, Sept. 30, with the parade route to be posted on the school website. There will be a tribute to Class of 2020 graduates during the pregame on Friday, Oct. 1, in the Endzone Alumni Tent. The homecoming game starts at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 1, against Streamwood High School.
• Larkin High School, 1475 Larkin Ave., Elgin: Sunday, Oct. 2, to Saturday, Oct. 9. Games and pregame activities held at Elgin High's Memorial Field, 1200 Maroon Drive, Elgin. The school colors are royal blue and white. The homecoming parade will step off at 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8. The parade route will be posted on school website. The Student and Alumni Tailgate and yearbook pickup will be at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8. The homecoming game starts at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8, against East Aurora High School. Alumni will be invited to march on field at halftime to "Pomp and Circumstance."