Why We Walk: 'Strike Out ALS' with Les Turner's virtual 5K or 1-mile
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, is a progressive nervous system disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, causing loss of muscle control.
ALS, often called Lou Gehrig's disease, begins with muscle twitching and weakness in a limb or slurred speech. Eventually, it affects control of the muscles needed to move, speak, eat and breathe.
Approximately 10 percent of all ALS cases are inherited forms, known as "familial ALS." The remaining 90 percent of cases are called "sporadic ALS."
Unfortunately, there is only one outcome since there is no cure.
But the Les Turner ALS Foundation is working hard to solve that problem.
Founded in 1977, the Les Turner ALS Foundation is the leader in comprehensive ALS care in Chicagoland. The organization's individualized approach ensures each person living with the disease receives the best care, and the local community of support provides loved ones with answers and encouragement.
The Les Turner ALS Center at Northwestern Medicine is led by clinicians and researchers who are advancing vital care and research in pursuit of treatments and a cure.
In order to fund this research, the Les Turner ALS Foundation has hosted the Strike Out ALS 5K and 1 Mile Run, Walk & Roll since 2010. While previously held at Guaranteed Rate Field, this year's event will be virtual.
After registering, participants can complete a 5K or 1-mile course on their own time from the comfort of their own home or community. Registration fee is $30.
At 7 p.m. Thursday, July 16, the foundation will host a Facebook Live event for participants, where they will present awards to the top finishers and draw raffle winners. Participants must submit their race times by noon July 16 to be considered for an award.
Proceeds from the Strike Out ALS event will benefit the Les Turner ALS Foundation.
For more information, visit strikeoutals5k.org.
To learn more about the Les Turner ALS Foundation, call (847) 679-3311 or visit lesturnerals.org.
Kristen Stott of Oswego and Judy Carter of Glendale Heights share how their loved ones have battled this disease and how the Les Turner ALS Foundation has helped along the way.
'He remains positive and continually inspires all of us'
Kristen Stott talks about her dad, Hugh's, struggle with ALS. Hugh Stott, spent more than 40 years in the fire services field before retiring in June of 2019 as Deputy Chief of the West Chicago Fire Protection District. Kristen and other family and friends will participate in the Les Turner Foundation's virtual Strike Out ALS 5K and 1 Mile Run, Walk & Roll July 16. Read her essay here.
'She truly lived life to the fullest'
Judy Carter shares the story of her cousin Eileen Frederick, who died in 2017 after a five-year battle against ALS. Carter and her family will take part in the Les Turner Foundation's virtual Strike Out ALS 5K and 1 Mile Run, Walk & Roll July 16 in honor of Eileen. Read her essay here.
• • •
Virtual Strike Out ALS 5K and 1 Mile Run, Walk & Roll
Who: Benefits the Les Turner ALS Foundation
When: Walk, run or roll any time on or before Thursday, July 16. At 7 p.m. July 16, the foundation will host a Facebook Live event.