Overheated generator sparks fire on Glenbard East roof

A generator which had been running since Glenbard East High School lost power during Monday morning’s storm overheated, sparking a minor fire on the school’s roof Monday evening, according to fire officials.

Firefighters responded to the school, 1014 S. Maine St., at about 6:25 p.m. and found the minor fire on the roof, which was quickly extinguished, said Lombard Assistant Fire Chief Jerry Howell.

“The generator had been running all day due to the power outage,” Howell said. “The exhaust pipe of the generator got so hot it started the roof on fire.”

The only people inside the school when the fire started were maintenance staff, who evacuated when the fire alarm sounded and directed firefighters to the source.

“The fire alarm system worked and provided us with early detection that lead to as favorable an outcome as we could have expected,” Howell said.

By the time the fire was extinguished, the building sustained about $20,000 in damages, according to fire officials.

No one was injured during the fire.

Lombard firefighters were assisted by crews from Oakbrook Terrace, Carol Stream and the Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District.