advertisement

Defendant in one-punch killing says it was self defense

A night out for two groups of friends ended in tragedy when one man's reckless and unnecessary acts ended the life of another, a McHenry County prosector said Monday as a trial got underway in a case once labeled as a one-punch murder.

Dustin Goy, 32, of Crystal Lake, is on trial for involuntary manslaughter for a punch he threw during a September 2007 altercation outside a downtown Crystal Lake bar.

Goy "sucker punched" 45-year-old Crystal Lake resident Anthony Carlsen Carlsen, causing him to fall back, strike his head on pavement and suffer a fatal head injury, Assistant McHenry County State's Attorney Michael Combs said during his opening statement.

"Anthony Carlsen didn't see it coming. He couldn't have seen it coming," Combs said. "There was no reason he had to strike Anthony Carlsen, much less with the force he chose to use."

Goy, of the 900 block of Golf Course Road, had been facing a first-degree murder charge as recently as last week when county prosecutors dropped the charge and instead chose to try him for involuntary manslaughter.

The charge alleges a reckless act by Goy caused Carlsen's death when the two men and their friends met up outside The Cottage after a night of celebrating separately inside the tavern.

Defense lawyer Robert Haeger, in his opening statement, said Goy threw the punch in self-defense after Carlsen - who was five inches taller and 130 pounds heavier - moved at him aggressively.

"Mr. Goy had two choices: he could act in self-defense toward the aggressor or he could take a beating," Haeger said. "The fact is Mr. Goy was in fear, imminent fear, for his own safety."

At Goy's request, the case will be decided by Judge Sharon Prather instead of a jury. If found guilty of the Class 3 felony, he would face two to five years in prison or probation.

Prather heard from three witnesses Monday, including Carlsen's widow, Liliana.