Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
Collar counties a bright spot as region’s population dipsMany Cook County suburbs followed Chicago‘s lead in losing population last year. The collar counties fared better, driven by growth in Kane, Kendall, McHenry and Will counties.Last Updated May 20, 2016 12:51 PM
Boys track and field: Thomas, South Elgin anxious to compete at stateUpdated May 25, 2016 7:31 PM
Here’s what to expect from Fox Valley area athletes at this weekend’s boys state track and field state finals in Charleston.
Three South Elgin U-46 schools win app contestPosted May 25, 2016 1:00 PM
Three South Elgin schools within Elgin Area School District U-46 were honored for generating the most downloads on the district’s free mobile app.
Baseball: Oswego East ends West Aurora’s seasonUpdated May 23, 2016 10:08 PM
West Aurora (12-18-1) saw its season come to an end at the Class 4A Metea Valley regional against No. 16 seed Oswego East 14-4 in 5 innings despite Connor Palmby’s double and home run.
Girls track and field: Cary-Grove’s Freeman state discus champUpdated May 21, 2016 9:35 PM
Cary-Grove senior Nikki Freeman won the Class 3A state discus championship Saturday with a throw of 142 feet, 5 inches at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston.
Girls track and field: Kaneland ties Cahokia for Class 2A state crownUpdated May 21, 2016 9:05 PM
The Kaneland 1,600-meter relay team won the final event of the day Saturday, lifting the Knights to a tie with Cahokia for the Class 2A state girls track and field championship in Charleston.
Baseball: Elgin Academy wins 1st regional titleUpdated May 21, 2016 6:07 PM
Justin King threw a 1-hitter and Elgin Academy made the most of its only 2 hits Saturday to defeat host Holy Trinity 3-1 at Kerry Wood Field in Chicago to win the Class 1A regional baseball championship.
Boys track and field: Huntley runs away with DeKalb sectional crownUpdated May 21, 2016 5:40 PM
Huntley’s boys track and field team outscored the field Saturday with 121 points to win the Class 3A DeKalb sectional championship.
Boys tennis: Jacobs dominates Cary-Grove sectionalUpdated May 21, 2016 4:39 PM
Jacobs dominated the Cary-Grove boys tennis sectional Saturday, advancing its entire team to next week’s state finals.
- Softball: Fremd finds Friday Night Lights a hit
- Girls soccer: Kaneland, Crystal Lake South win regional titles
- Boys track and field: Kaneland runs away with 2A sectional title
- Girls track and field: Kaneland in prime position to win 2A state title
- Baseball: Bartlett tops Streamwood; St. Charles North falls
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Chicago Northwest Suburban Alumnae Panhellenic Awards 2016 High School and Collegiate Scholarship Winners
- College of DuPage Celebrates 49th Commencement
- Tom Cullerton works to streamline Illinois voter registration
- Tom Cullerton passes measure to spread DuPage model throughout Illinois
- Church on the Rock to host leadership training seminar
- Speaker to address the pope’s views on ecology
- Renewal Center to host open house
- Taste microbrews during a hike through Glacial Park
- Community agencies launch garden with food pantry customers
- Tom Cullerton passes measure to keep retired police dogs with officers
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Cadette Girl Scouts Kaity McDougall (left) and Angela Becker (right) explain their idea for a pay it forward week in Crystal Lake to city council members during Tuesday's Crystal Lake City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Bishop Malloy shakes the hand of newly confirmed, Hunter Loprino, 8th grade student at St. Mary School. Mindy Strange
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Crystal Lake resident Alicia Grojean enjoys a light moment with Chicago Blackhawks' mascot "TommyHawk" after donating blood at a LifeSource blood drive held in Rosemont March 21. Dave Silbar
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Kaity McDougall (on left) and Angela Becker (right) of Girl Scout Troop 421 in Crystal Lake lead the Pledge of Allegiance at Tuesday's (4-7-15) City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Saint Mary eighth-graders Savannah Dudzik and Maureen Keisling crown a statue of Mary on May 5, 2015 in the May Crowning ceremony after a school Mass at Saint Mary Church in Woodstock. Mindy Strange
- The Knights of Columbus Council 3880, and the parishioners of Saint Thomas The apostle Church in Crystal Lake, collected over 3,000 diapers during a mother's day diaper drive. The drive was coordinated by Pat Slowey and the diapers were donated to 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services in Johnsburg. Pat Slowey
- This little chipmunk has been hanging out in our yard but he's totally different than other chipmunks, he's white! Jim Christensen
- Mayor Aaron T. Shepley (far left), Kaity McDougall (middle) and Angela Becker (right) pose after Mayor Shepley read and signed the proclamation brought forth by three Girl Scouts. Missing from the picture is Alex Kearney, the third Girl Scout working on the Pay it Forward project. She was out of town this day and missed the meeting Monte McDougall
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Crystal Lake resident Mike Steinlauf of Zurich Insurance performs a magic card trick for King Rocco, 8, during the Make-A-Wish Send-off at Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg. Rocco was diagnosed with Wilm's Tumor, a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children, and his wish of touring castles will come true this summer when his family goes to Germany. To prepare Rocco for the trip, Zurich employees dressed up and transformed the Zurich Towers into a magical castle to provide their king the full medieval experience. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
- Zurich North America Commercial CEO Mike Foley crowns Rocco, 8, king of Zurich Insurance for the day. King Rocco visited Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg on Monday for a Make-A-Wish Send-off, which celebrates the fact that he will get to realize his wish of touring castles in Germany this summer. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
More Crystal Lake News
- Crystal Lake Sports
- Boys track and field: Thomas, South Elgin anxious to compete at state
- Baseball: Oswego East ends West Aurora’s season
- Girls track and field: Cary-Grove’s Freeman state discus champ
- Girls track and field: Kaneland ties Cahokia for Class 2A state crown
- Baseball: Elgin Academy wins 1st regional title
- Boys track and field: Huntley runs away with DeKalb sectional crown
- Boys tennis: Jacobs dominates Cary-Grove sectional
- Softball: Fremd finds Friday Night Lights a hit
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County