Communities » McHenry Area News
Dist. 200 to consider later first day of schoolThe Wheaton Warrenville Unit District 200 school board will decide next month whether classes will begin Aug. 17 or Aug. 24 next year in response to some complaints about early start dates.Last Updated Nov 24, 2015 5:25 PM
Dozens line up to file for McHenry County electionsUpdated Nov 23, 2015 5:15 PM
The first day to file nominating petitions for the March 15 primary elections brought forth dozens of candidates waiting outside the McHenry County office before 8 a.m. Monday.
Wheaton school goes around the world in a dayPosted Nov 20, 2015 1:00 AM
Every year, students at Madison Elementary in Wheaton look forward to Multicultural Day, when they get a chance to "travel" to a new region of the world to learn about other cultures and traditions.
Michael Romano gets life in prison for killing dad, stepmomUpdated Nov 19, 2015 4:11 PM
A former Algonquin man was sentenced to life in prison Thursday for the 2006 murders of his dad and stepmom for a $2 million inheritance. “It was an execution of his parents prompted by greed. It’s unforgivable," said Judge Sharon Prather before sentencing Michael Romano.
South Elgin H.S. auto club 7th in national competitionUpdated Nov 24, 2015 1:00 PM
The South Elgin High School Auto Club earned seventh place at the Hot Rodders of Tomorrow Engine Challenge earlier this month in Las Vegas.
Small business seminar set at McHenry County CollegeUpdated Nov 24, 2015 12:54 PM
Registration is under way for The Illinois Small Business Development Center’s “Starting a Business in Illinois,” scheduled for 6-8 p.m. Dec. 1 at the McHenry County College Shah Center, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry.
Dawn Patrol: Aurora robberies may be related; parents get 5 years in starved baby caseUpdated Nov 24, 2015 5:58 AM
Armed robbery in Aurora might be related to 4 others. Parents get 5 years in Barrington starvation case. Burr Ridge real estate broker guilty on all theft counts. Elk Grove's flood control project delayed. Bulls’ challenge is how to use McDermott. Short workweek for Bears before Green Bay game.
Dawn Patrol: Reward offered in fatal crash, Bears loseUpdated Nov 23, 2015 6:01 AM
$8,000 reward offered in fatal Lake County hit-and-run. Five injured in Streamwood crash involving ambulance, SUV. Loved ones carry on Naperville woman’s tradition of giving. Retail ready to burst along Rand Road. Dundee-Crown students on a global mission for girls education. Bears can’t complete comeback against Broncos. Imrem: Who’s to blame for that conversion try? Rozner: Bears seeing red after tough loss.
Dawn Patrol: Season's first snow tonight; Rash of burglaries in Buffalo GroveUpdated Nov 20, 2015 7:06 AM
Up to 8 inches of snow coming. Buffalo Grove police brief residents on burglaries. Thousands of commuters embrace Metra's ticketing app. Twice as many animals euthanized this year at Kane County shelter. Michael Romano gets life in prison for killing dad, stepmom. Uber driver sentenced to probation for firing at passengers. Arrest made in Waukegan bank robbery. Fox says Cutler's 'done a tremendous job.'
- Dawn Patrol: Soon you can get your Garrett Popcorn at Woodfield; Arrieta wins Cy Young Award
Recently shared by others
- Towns across county issue proclamation for #McHenryCountyGives
- #ILGive looks to raise $6 million for social impact organizations in one day
- Celebrate Hanukkah with McHenry County Jewish Congregation
- Volunteers invited to share hope, love during special holiday meal-packing sessions
- Girl Scouts seeks award nominations for local volunteers
- Special Olympics apine ski coaches needed
- Check out careers in mechatronics at CLC info session Dec. 10
- Dec. 3: CLC creative writing faculty members to read from their original work
- Chicago Botanic Garden Joins #Giving Tuesday Movement
- 77 percent of U.S. consumers are planning to ‘Shop Small’ this holiday season
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
- Bishop Malloy shakes the hand of newly confirmed, Hunter Loprino, 8th grade student at St. Mary School. Mindy Strange
- Sean Sullivan, owner of Culver's of Island Lake and McHenry, is presented with a certificate of recognition from LifeSource's Executive Director of Blood Services, Chad Douglas. Chicagoland Culver's restaurants hosted partnered "Give a Pint, Get a Pint" blood drives over the summer and received more than 1,000 donations for LifeSource. McKenzie Kramer
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Saint Mary eighth-graders Savannah Dudzik and Maureen Keisling crown a statue of Mary on May 5, 2015 in the May Crowning ceremony after a school Mass at Saint Mary Church in Woodstock. Mindy Strange
- Enjoy a beautiful trail run during the JCYS 5K Run/Walk in support of Camp Red Leaf, an overnight camping experience for youth and adults with developmental disabilities, emotional and behavioral needs. Runners will gather on Sunday, September 21 at 10 am at 26710 W. Nippersink Road in Ingleside, IL and run past the fully-accessible summer camp that includes a tree house; high and low ropes course, and zip line; lake front and pool; and year-round lodging. Registration is $35/runner and $10 for kids 12 and under. More information at www.jcys.org/5K. JCYS Camp Red Leaf
- Advocate Condell Medical Center nurse Lilli Woo, center, from McHenry, along with fellow nurses Ginna Allen and Sarah Wild, enjoy complimentary sundaes provided last week as part of National Nurses Week by Culver's Restaurants in Libertyville, Mundelein and Grayslake. Joe White
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- After reading in the paper that the White American Pelicans were migrating north and stopping at Nippersink Lake, I took a ride up to view them. They were magnificent! So regal looking. Well worth the drive. Shelly Chaloupka
More McHenry News
- McHenry Business
- Small business seminar set at McHenry County College
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- The Heart of the Fox
- 60050, 60051
- 42.339167, -88.281667
- McHenry County