The public is invited to Green Drinks McHenry County from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 4, at Duke's Alehouse & Kitchen, 110 N. Main St., Crystal Lake. Head upstairs at Duke's for info and inspiration, business and pleasure. Come talk about "greening" the future with others. Must be 21 to purchase alcohol; nonalcoholic drinks are available.
This month's topic will be the city of Crystal Lake Sustainability Committee which has been working for the past six years on projects to make the community a healthy place to live. The committee is made up of eight Crystal Lake residents. At Green Drinks June 4, they will highlight some of their green initiatives:
• Fourth annual Bike With Your Neighbor Free Scavenger Hunt on June 22 from noon to 4 p.m. at Crystal Lake Main Beach
• Promoting biking in Crystal Lake
• Working with schools to promote anti-idling education and anti-idling signs at schools and in public areas
• Promoting energy conservation, recycling, native landscaping and use of rain barrels
• Developing sustainability goals
From 5 to 5:45 p.m., Green Drinks will feature Rain Barrel demonstrations by Toms Rain Barrels of Lake in the Hills, the Land Conservancy of McHenry County, Woodstock, and Green Garden Rain Barrels of Marengo.
There will be an information table set up, and you are welcome to bring information about your green products and services each month to share. Additional parking is available at the train station.
To be added to their email list, send a note to: GreenDrinksMC@gmail.com or "like" the group on Facebook www.FaceBook.com/GreenDrinksMcHenryCounty.
Green Drinks McHenry County is sponsored by the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County and Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen.