Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
Volo woman faces federal charges in bank robbery caseA Volo woman is expected to appear in federal court Tuesday morning on charges of attempted bank robbery. Teresa M. Knowles, 39, faces federal charges filed last week after the attempted robbery of the Chase Bank, 2911 Commerce Dr. in Johnsburg on March 24, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.Last Updated Mar 30, 2015 8:57 PM
Crystal Lake police search for bank robberUpdated Mar 30, 2015 8:41 PM
Crystal Lake police need help finding a man who robbed a Crystal Lake bank Monday afternoon and got away with an undisclosed amount of money.
Images: View the Daily Herald Lisagor Awards photo nominationsPosted Mar 31, 2015 1:00 AM
The Daily Herald received 26 nominations, including general excellence, for the prestigious Lisagor Awards from the Chicago Headline Club. Photographers Mark Welsh, Mark Black, Dan White, George LeClaire, Laura Stoecker and John Starks are nominated for various photography categories.
Gilberts entrepreneur says there’s a science to cleanUpdated Mar 30, 2015 6:54 AM
Kukec's People features George Heuvelman, co-owner of Enviroclean of Illinois, who said he uses science to sanitize surfaces and even earned a few patents to help that process along.
- More community news
- The end of winter and the beginning of spring are reflected in The Week in Pictures
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Dist. 47, Lakeside Legacy Foundation celebrate arts in education
- Now is a good time to get your well water tested
- Program to discuss Cook County Coyote Project
- Nominees announced for YWCA Leader Luncheon
- NBC’s Nancy Loo to host Assisi Animal Foundation fashion show
- Heart Sounds 2015 Symposium to highlight innovations in cardiology
- Learn about ‘The Ethics of Fracking’ at MCC
- Learn how to ‘echo weave’ at Fine Line
- Local Girl Scouts attend United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- Algonquin church to host Heavenly Chocolate Fest
- 2013 Fire Prevention Month Coloring Contest and Escape Plan Winners! Top Row: Devin Pantelin, Tyler Fikis, Jack DiCosola, Devin Concha, Chloe Holz, Amina Hatanaka, Jacob Flesher, Hunter McCarthy, Jocelyn Erling, Lindsay Potts; Bottom Row: Matt Mowers, Tegan Van Wiel, Bobby Leonard, Jack Wright on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at the Hampshire FIre Station , 202 Washington Ave. William
Blessing of Graduates at Christ United Methodist Church
Front: Pastor Lee, Emily Williams, Steve Riedinger, Ryan Greenwood, Logan Moring, Rachel Hugg Second row: Julie Kupkreja, Kelley Williams, Pauly Ramsey, Shelli Morning, Doug Literski, Eric Hugg Backrow: Ralph Bergstrom, Joe Greenwood, Eleanor Kilberger, Joe Kilberger, Judy Baker Maria Lee
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Third grade students from St. Margaret Mary School in Algonquin enjoy a Geosphere presentation in honor of Earth Day at McHenry County College on April 14 Donna Bieschke
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
If life gives you flooding, take some pictures!
This is how the grass fields next to our community looked like after the flooding. Sergio Toranzo
Launching of 2013 Confirmation Class at Christ Church of Algonquin
Top photo: (kneeling left to right) Jensen Jones, Celine Jones,Casey Deak, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Carrie Jones, Gary Slagle, Shelli Moring,Robin Deak
Lower photo: (front row) Alison Blackmore, Nicholas Masek, Dale Harden, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Lisa Greenwood, Cathy Blackmore, Cheryl Fournier, Eric Linner, Linda Mullen, Gary Slagle
Last row: Debbie Thomas, Mark Gatsakos,Mark Harden Maria Lee
- A handful of LifeSource staff pose with some of the food donated by blood donors to Northern Illinois Food Bank and the Greater Chicago Food Depository as part of its "Triple Your Giving" promotion. LifeSource invited its Crystal Lake blood donors to bring along non-perishable food items when they visited its donor center at 5577 Northwest Highway through December. Along with the food, LifeSource donated $1,400 to each organization. Courtesy of LifeSource
- Kozi Salon in Lake Barrington attends a fundraiser-fashion show sponsored by Italian American Women Organization with the theme, "The Great Gatsby." The annual show benefits "One Step At A Time" camp for children with cancer and leukemia, operated by COSI-Children Oncology Services Inc. a nonprofit charitable organization. Pictured from right: Violetta Kozicki-owner/stylist, Amanda Castilo-stylist, Claudia McCoy-owner/stylist, Zaneta Modrzejewska-stylist. The program gives children facing cancer a chance to bond with other pediatric cancer patients and survivors in a non-hospital setting and is open to children ages 7 to 19.
McHenry Rotary Inducts Two New Members
Left to right, Assistant District Governor, Don Brewer, and new members Denis Buch, McHenry Contractor, and Darren Wagner, Sales Manager, Elm Street Walgreen's Drug Store. William P. McLemore
Pastor Lee recently conducted a new member service at Christ United Methodist Church, of Algonquin, IL.
New members Larry Huber, Sandy Huber, Jud Strickland (seated) and Wanda Strickland were presented with roses by Kim Aupperle (on left) Maria Lee
- Crystal Lake resident, Mike Split, races in costume in the 5k Soles for the Dole that benefited Lakeside Legacy Foundation and Girls on the Run of Northwest IL. Patty Bell, Lakeside Legacy Foundation Marketing Assistant
Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen recently took 7th place in the world with this stuffed Crust BLT Pizza
Come get one for yourself at 1506 W Algonquin Road in Palatine IL 60067; 847-221-5922 Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Congressman Roskam cancelled his meeting with families to discuss immigration reform and its effect on families. The families then decorated his door with messages written on colorful butterflies. The butterflies symbolize freedom and migration. Colin Tysoe
Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset welcomes 3 new members
Rotary District 6440 Governor Sarah Oliver, new member Carrie Hintz, new member and Rotary District 6440 Assistant Governor Carlton Ames, Rotarian Kevin Bruning, and Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset President Linda Liddell Ellen Bruning
Sockers FC U13 US Club Soccer Regional Tournament Champions
Top left: Emily Olson, Dolly Nwachuckwu, Kylie Graves, Brinley McVeigh, Skye Kingsley, Julianne Hutchison, Giuliana Cunningham, Hannah Northfell
Bottom: Felicia Moncada, Aly Kilburg, Anna Johnston, Celiana Torres, Cassie Farber, Hannah Richardson (not pictured: Coach Ahmed Gad) S McVeigh
- No. 8 Quarterback Michael Loveless runs for a first down on the last carry of the game to seal the first Super Bowl victory for Crystal Lake heavyweights since 2002. Christine Loveless
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Cardunal Crop Walk hosted by Congregational Church of Algonquin that includes Christ United Methodist Church of Algonquin and the Congregational Church of Dundee Maria Lee
More Crystal Lake News
- Crystal Lake Business
- Gilberts entrepreneur says there’s a science to clean
- Glendale Heights business owners rebuild home after fire
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County