Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
McHenry County District 5 hopefuls have different paths to government efficiencyThree candidates seeking the GOP nomination in the March 15 primary for the McHenry County Board District 5 have differing views on how each would improve governmental efficiency. Voters will chose two from among incumbent Michael Skala and challengers Joeseph Calomino and Andrew Snarski to advance to the November election.Last Updated Feb 11, 2016 12:48 PM
Seniors lead Benet past Marian CentralUpdated Feb 10, 2016 10:14 PM
Benet earned its first East Suburban Catholic Conference championship since 1998 with a blowout victory against Marian Central.
Grant snaps up regional titleUpdated Feb 6, 2016 8:48 PM
Cary-Grove’s John Cullen won his first regional championship and Grant took the team title Saturday at the Class 3A McHenry wrestling regional.
Scouting Fox Valley area wrestling sectionalsUpdated Feb 10, 2016 8:21 PM
Previewing this weekend’s wrestling sectionals involving Fox Valley area teams and athletes.
Prairie Ridge takes tops honors at SchaumburgUpdated Feb 8, 2016 11:11 PM
Maddie Solka won the all-around and powered the Prairie Ridge co-op team to the Schaumburg girls gymnastics sectional title with 149.55 points on Monday. Barrington took second with 144.95 points, just ahead of Fremd (144.60).
Ten stories you may have missed this weekendPosted Feb 8, 2016 5:00 AM
Ten stories you may have missed this weekend.
Three straight FVC Valley titles for HuntleyUpdated Feb 6, 2016 10:47 PM
Huntley’s girls basketball team defeated Dundee-Crown 49-37 Saturday to win its third straight undefeated Fox Valley Conference Valley Division title.
Images: Competitive Cheerleading finals, Buffalo Grove takes top honorsUpdated Feb 6, 2016 8:19 PM
See images from Saturday’s finals of the Competitive Cheerleading competition at U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington.
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- MCC to offer FAFSA financial aid workshop Feb. 18
- Serve City beach volleyball program debuting this summer across suburbs
- Donna Adams accepts lead position at Paradise Financial Partners
- Janus Theatre pulls back the curtain, opens rehearsals
- Singers Of United Lands to perform at MCC Feb. 16
- 100 delegates provide their voice to first McHenry County Conservation Congress
- With peak flu season, it’s not too late to get your flu shot
- Shamrock Shave fundraiser returns March 5
- Help conservation efforts by becoming a frog monitor
- Enjoy winter fun in McHenry County
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Cadette Girl Scouts Kaity McDougall (left) and Angela Becker (right) explain their idea for a pay it forward week in Crystal Lake to city council members during Tuesday's Crystal Lake City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Bishop Malloy shakes the hand of newly confirmed, Hunter Loprino, 8th grade student at St. Mary School. Mindy Strange
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Crystal Lake resident Alicia Grojean enjoys a light moment with Chicago Blackhawks' mascot "TommyHawk" after donating blood at a LifeSource blood drive held in Rosemont March 21. Dave Silbar
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Kaity McDougall (on left) and Angela Becker (right) of Girl Scout Troop 421 in Crystal Lake lead the Pledge of Allegiance at Tuesday's (4-7-15) City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Saint Mary eighth-graders Savannah Dudzik and Maureen Keisling crown a statue of Mary on May 5, 2015 in the May Crowning ceremony after a school Mass at Saint Mary Church in Woodstock. Mindy Strange
- The Knights of Columbus Council 3880, and the parishioners of Saint Thomas The apostle Church in Crystal Lake, collected over 3,000 diapers during a mother's day diaper drive. The drive was coordinated by Pat Slowey and the diapers were donated to 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services in Johnsburg. Pat Slowey
- This little chipmunk has been hanging out in our yard but he's totally different than other chipmunks, he's white! Jim Christensen
- Mayor Aaron T. Shepley (far left), Kaity McDougall (middle) and Angela Becker (right) pose after Mayor Shepley read and signed the proclamation brought forth by three Girl Scouts. Missing from the picture is Alex Kearney, the third Girl Scout working on the Pay it Forward project. She was out of town this day and missed the meeting Monte McDougall
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Zurich North America Commercial CEO Mike Foley crowns Rocco, 8, king of Zurich Insurance for the day. King Rocco visited Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg on Monday for a Make-A-Wish Send-off, which celebrates the fact that he will get to realize his wish of touring castles in Germany this summer. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
- Crystal Lake resident Mike Steinlauf of Zurich Insurance performs a magic card trick for King Rocco, 8, during the Make-A-Wish Send-off at Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg. Rocco was diagnosed with Wilm's Tumor, a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children, and his wish of touring castles will come true this summer when his family goes to Germany. To prepare Rocco for the trip, Zurich employees dressed up and transformed the Zurich Towers into a magical castle to provide their king the full medieval experience. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
More Crystal Lake News
- Crystal Lake Sports
- Benet earns ESCC championship with different lineup
- Scouting Fox Valley area wrestling sectionals
- Prairie Ridge takes tops honors at Schaumburg
- Three straight FVC Valley titles for Huntley
- Grant snaps up regional title
- Images: Competitive Cheerleading finals, Buffalo Grove takes top honors
- Burlington Central wraps up BN-East title
- Suburban squads advance to cheerleading finals
- Crystal Lake Business
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- MCC offers OSHA Electrical Safety courses
- Crystal Lake Opinion
- Endorsement: Roskam for GOP in 6th Congressional District
- Endorsement: Howland for Democrats in 6th District
- Candidate has knowledge, experience
- Experience big in McHenry Co. office
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County