Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
Scouting Week 1 in the Fox ValleyScouting the Fox Valley's Week 1 high school football gamesLast Updated Aug 27, 2015 9:02 PM
Return to playoffs is Crystal Lake South’s goalUpdated Aug 26, 2015 9:36 PM
Crystal Lake South was one of the best football teams in the state to not make the playoffs in 2014. The Gators finished 4-5 against a schedule that included seven teams with winning records, five of which qualified for the playoffs. Nothing illustrated that strength of schedule more than their 51 playoff points (opponents’ wins), which far exceeded the at-large playoff threshold of 39 points for 5-4 bubble teams.
Missing Algonquin dog, Wrigley, found safe after 15 daysUpdated Aug 26, 2015 8:05 PM
Wrigley, a 12-year-old Brittany spaniel/Labrador retriever mix, was found safe Wednesday after being missing for 15 days. The dog was the object of a massive, multi-community search. “I’m just thrilled,” said owner Terri Templin of Algonquin.
Pace expands bus service through Kane, McHenry countiesUpdated Aug 24, 2015 7:18 PM
Pace Suburban Bus has extended its Randall Road route from its northern terminus in Elgin to the Crystal Lake Metra Station, expanding hours and adding a new midday service through Kane and McHenry counties. The route extension provides new service to riders in Carpentersville, Algonquin, Lake in the Hills, and Crystal Lake, connecting with the Metra Union Pacific-Northwest Line at the Crystal Lake Metra Station and other Pace routes serving McHenry County. “We expect (ridership) to pick up over time,” Pace spokesman Patrick Wilmot said.
Boys soccer: Elgin shuts out South ElginUpdated Aug 27, 2015 10:44 PM
Jonathan Ramirez’s goal off a PK deflection helped Elgin defeat South Elgin 1-0 Thursday in Upstate Eight crossover boys soccer action.
Suburban Democrats key in Rauner vs. unions battleUpdated Aug 27, 2015 7:39 PM
Lawmakers have set up a potential showdown with Gov. Bruce Rauner next week over a proposal he's called a “direct frontal assault on the taxpayers of Illinois.” Suburban Democrats could be key to who wins.
Dawn Patrol: Antioch woman charged in hit-and-run; missing Algonquin dog found after 15 daysUpdated Aug 27, 2015 5:48 AM
Antioch woman charged in fatal hit-and-run. Missing Algonquin dog, Wrigley, found safe after 15 days. Kane County planning for possible state income tax shortfall. What’s next for nearly-vacant Wheeling shopping mall? Geneva man pleads guilty in DUI crash that killed two in Naperville. Police say Mt. Prospect woman walked around gates before being struck by train.
Prairie Ridge has the weapons againUpdated Aug 26, 2015 7:13 PM
Since the Fox Valley Conference split into divisions in 2006, only Prairie Ridge has won multiple outright Fox Division titles (two). The Wolves, under the direction of 14th-year coach Chris Schremp, would like to add to that total this season.
Dawn Patrol: Man killed in Wauconda robbery had BB gun, police say; Pedestrian killed by train in Mt. ProspectUpdated Aug 26, 2015 5:45 AM
Officials say man killed in Wauconda robbery carrying BB gun; Pedestrian killed by train in Mt. Prospect; DuPage may discuss using bailiffs for court security to save money; Striking Barrington High janitors say restore pay and we'll negotiate; Algonquin man accused of sex toy attack at haunted house gets probation and fine; Addison man says vicious attack was over $50 debt.
- Duckworth, Foster, undecided on Iran deal
- Dawn Patrol: Body found along I-290; industrial building burns near Elk Grove
- Boys soccer: Fox Valley roundup Monday, Aug. 24
- Images: School days and dog days take over the suburbs
- Study: While heroin use spikes, treatment options drop in Illinois
- Boys golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Trees Downed in 2012 Storm Crafted into Stand for Local Bell
- Veterans invited to boat on the Fox River with local rowing clubs
- Fun on the menu this fall with St. Charles Singles Club
- Transitions Hospice to host volunteer training
- Northern Illinois Food Bank ready to kick off Hunger Action Month
- TMA Board Members Speak at DMDII Smart Manufacturing Panel
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Learn about sedums, conifers at this year’s Hosta Haven Saturday, Aug. 29
- Have a drug or alcohol problem? Get free assessment in September
- Healthy Families Fun Fair set for Sept. 10
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Cadette Girl Scouts Kaity McDougall (left) and Angela Becker (right) explain their idea for a pay it forward week in Crystal Lake to city council members during Tuesday's Crystal Lake City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Bishop Malloy shakes the hand of newly confirmed, Hunter Loprino, 8th grade student at St. Mary School. Mindy Strange
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Crystal Lake resident Alicia Grojean enjoys a light moment with Chicago Blackhawks' mascot "TommyHawk" after donating blood at a LifeSource blood drive held in Rosemont March 21. Dave Silbar
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Kaity McDougall (on left) and Angela Becker (right) of Girl Scout Troop 421 in Crystal Lake lead the Pledge of Allegiance at Tuesday's (4-7-15) City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Saint Mary eighth-graders Savannah Dudzik and Maureen Keisling crown a statue of Mary on May 5, 2015 in the May Crowning ceremony after a school Mass at Saint Mary Church in Woodstock. Mindy Strange
- The Knights of Columbus Council 3880, and the parishioners of Saint Thomas The apostle Church in Crystal Lake, collected over 3,000 diapers during a mother's day diaper drive. The drive was coordinated by Pat Slowey and the diapers were donated to 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services in Johnsburg. Pat Slowey
- This little chipmunk has been hanging out in our yard but he's totally different than other chipmunks, he's white! Jim Christensen
- Mayor Aaron T. Shepley (far left), Kaity McDougall (middle) and Angela Becker (right) pose after Mayor Shepley read and signed the proclamation brought forth by three Girl Scouts. Missing from the picture is Alex Kearney, the third Girl Scout working on the Pay it Forward project. She was out of town this day and missed the meeting Monte McDougall
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Crystal Lake resident Mike Steinlauf of Zurich Insurance performs a magic card trick for King Rocco, 8, during the Make-A-Wish Send-off at Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg. Rocco was diagnosed with Wilm's Tumor, a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children, and his wish of touring castles will come true this summer when his family goes to Germany. To prepare Rocco for the trip, Zurich employees dressed up and transformed the Zurich Towers into a magical castle to provide their king the full medieval experience. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
- Zurich North America Commercial CEO Mike Foley crowns Rocco, 8, king of Zurich Insurance for the day. King Rocco visited Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg on Monday for a Make-A-Wish Send-off, which celebrates the fact that he will get to realize his wish of touring castles in Germany this summer. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
More Crystal Lake News
- Crystal Lake Sports
- Boys soccer: Elgin shuts out South Elgin
- Scouting Week 1 in the Fox Valley
- Return to playoffs is Crystal Lake South’s goal
- Prairie Ridge has the weapons again
- Boys soccer: Fox Valley roundup Monday, Aug. 24
- Boys golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Girls golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Crystal Lake Business
- Uber, GM and Fermilab share innovations and vision for transportation
- Crystal Lake Entertainment
- Missing Algonquin dog, Wrigley, found safe after 15 days
- Minister from Woodstock accused of having child porn
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County