Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
Kane, McHenry County voters return to polls for primary electionsRepublican nominees for several positions in Dundee, Algonquin, and Grafton townships will be chosen in Tuesday’s primary elections. A Democratic primary will also be held in Aurora Township for highway commissioner and trustee.Last Updated Feb 27, 2017 5:11 PM
Former McHenry County politician remembered as Republican powerhouseUpdated Feb 27, 2017 4:48 PM
Known as a Republican powerhouse in McHenry County and Illinois politics for decades, Albert Jourdan Jr. is remembered as a genuine friend, a trusted mentor and a well-respected politician.
Report: Off-duty Woodstock cop charged with DUI in Round Lake crashUpdated Feb 23, 2017 3:43 PM
An off-duty Woodstock police officer was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and driving too fast for conditions after a Feb. 11 crash into a utlity pole in Round Lake.
Enjoy this weather while it lastsUpdated Feb 23, 2017 8:48 AM
Enjoy the balmy weather while it lasts. Saturday’s forecast calls for snow. You remember snow, right?
MCC board candidates discuss online growth, state fundingUpdated Feb 22, 2017 11:33 PM
McHenry County College board candidates agree increasing online learning opportunities and catering to nontraditional students are key to the college’s future growth. They also weighed in on state funding for higher education.
Local sheriffs air concerns on deportationsUpdated Feb 22, 2017 7:35 PM
Suburban authorities’ reactions range from ambivalence to defiance over the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s plans for a massive deportation effort that includes deputizing local police to assist.
Hampshire, Kaneland win regional openersUpdated Feb 27, 2017 10:22 PM
Tre Powell scored 24 points Monday night as the Hampshire boys basketball team defeated Belvidere North 63-53 in the opening round of the Class 4A Rockford Jefferson regional.
Wanted: bands for summer concerts at Algonquin CommonsPosted Feb 27, 2017 1:03 PM
Organizers at Algonquin Commons are seeking bands for the mall’s Rock and Shop competition.
Larkin regional will be one to watchUpdated Feb 25, 2017 6:27 PM
At this week’s six-team Class 4A Larkin regional, the field has a 103-62 combined record.
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Annual Sampler Series begins with ‘Ain’t Got a Dollar’ program March 6
- Renz Center now offers medication-assisted treatment
- ESO performs Tchaikovsky’s brilliant and very personal Fourth Symphony March 3-5
- Environmental Defenders’ annual membership dinner set for March 12
- Fox Valley Antiques Show & Sale returns to St. Charles March 11-12
- Learn about hydroponics, vermiponics at McHenry County Green Drinks meeting
- Clarinetist Alexander Fiterstein to lead a ESO Masterclass March 4
- COD Track and Field Athletes Ready for NJCAA Indoor Championships
- COD Horticulture Students Receive Statewide Recognition from ILCA
- Registration Begins End of March for Summer Classes at College of DuPage
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Cadette Girl Scouts Kaity McDougall (left) and Angela Becker (right) explain their idea for a pay it forward week in Crystal Lake to city council members during Tuesday's Crystal Lake City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Bishop Malloy shakes the hand of newly confirmed, Hunter Loprino, 8th grade student at St. Mary School. Mindy Strange
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Crystal Lake resident Alicia Grojean enjoys a light moment with Chicago Blackhawks' mascot "TommyHawk" after donating blood at a LifeSource blood drive held in Rosemont March 21. Dave Silbar
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Kaity McDougall (on left) and Angela Becker (right) of Girl Scout Troop 421 in Crystal Lake lead the Pledge of Allegiance at Tuesday's (4-7-15) City Council Meeting Kim Becker
- Saint Mary eighth-graders Savannah Dudzik and Maureen Keisling crown a statue of Mary on May 5, 2015 in the May Crowning ceremony after a school Mass at Saint Mary Church in Woodstock. Mindy Strange
- The Knights of Columbus Council 3880, and the parishioners of Saint Thomas The apostle Church in Crystal Lake, collected over 3,000 diapers during a mother's day diaper drive. The drive was coordinated by Pat Slowey and the diapers were donated to 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services in Johnsburg. Pat Slowey
- This little chipmunk has been hanging out in our yard but he's totally different than other chipmunks, he's white! Jim Christensen
- Mayor Aaron T. Shepley (far left), Kaity McDougall (middle) and Angela Becker (right) pose after Mayor Shepley read and signed the proclamation brought forth by three Girl Scouts. Missing from the picture is Alex Kearney, the third Girl Scout working on the Pay it Forward project. She was out of town this day and missed the meeting Monte McDougall
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Zurich North America Commercial CEO Mike Foley crowns Rocco, 8, king of Zurich Insurance for the day. King Rocco visited Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg on Monday for a Make-A-Wish Send-off, which celebrates the fact that he will get to realize his wish of touring castles in Germany this summer. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
- Crystal Lake resident Mike Steinlauf of Zurich Insurance performs a magic card trick for King Rocco, 8, during the Make-A-Wish Send-off at Zurich's North American headquarters in Schaumburg. Rocco was diagnosed with Wilm's Tumor, a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children, and his wish of touring castles will come true this summer when his family goes to Germany. To prepare Rocco for the trip, Zurich employees dressed up and transformed the Zurich Towers into a magical castle to provide their king the full medieval experience. The event is part of Zurich’s Global Community Week, a global effort celebrated across 44 countries that recognizes the efforts of Zurich employees supporting their communities throughout the year. Zurich North America
More Crystal Lake News
- Crystal Lake Sports
- Hampshire, Kaneland win regional openers
- Larkin regional will be one to watch
- Burlington Central, Huntley, Marmion earn wins
- Fenton season ends just short of state
- Girls gymnastics: Baars, Prairie Ridge pull off the 3-peat
- Images: Saturday at the Girls Gymnastics State Final Meet
- Jacobs takes over FVC lead
- Aurora Central secures share of MSC Blue
- Crystal Lake Business
- Constable: Suburban musician, piano-tuner wins Grammy
- Crystal Lake Entertainment
- Algonquin Commons seeks bands for summer competition
- Aurora, Elgin Catholic schools may consolidate
- Constable: Suburban musician, piano-tuner wins Grammy
- Fox Lake Polar Plunge
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County