Communities » Crystal Lake Area News
Dist. 52 candidates curtail campaign spendingTwo years ago, the race for the state House 52nd District seat was the costliest legislative race in Illinois. This year, one of the candidates says he's avoiding campaign donations altogether.Last Updated Sep 22, 2014 4:23 PM
Crystal Lake man sentenced in secret shopper schemeUpdated Sep 19, 2014 5:19 PM
A Crystal Lake man was sentenced to nearly five years in federal prison Friday, for his part in a secret shopper scheme. Michael S. MacKay, 48, was also ordered to pay nearly $27,000 in restitution to the victims who believed they were working as "secret shoppers."
Lawyer accused of $1.2 million theft pleads guiltyUpdated Sep 18, 2014 5:41 PM
A Crystal Lake attorney accused of stealing $1.2 million from his clients pleaded guilty Thursday and faces between four and 15 year when sentenced Nov. 12. Curt Rehberg, 50, of Cary, was arrested in September 2013. "He's a good lawyer, but a bad businessman," said defense attorney Henry Sugden, who said Rehberg used funds to avoid laying off any of his office staff and to compensate for bad business deals.
Ex-child porn investigator gets 50 years for child sex abuseUpdated Sep 17, 2014 6:44 PM
A former McHenry County sheriff's deputy and child pornography investigator was sentenced to 50 years in prison Wednesday after pleading guilty earlier this year to sexually abusing a pre-teen boy. Gregory M. Pyle, 39, formerly of Crystal Lake, was charged in 2012 after his name surfaced in another child pornography investigation downstate.
- More community news
- Dick Pond in Carpentersville to close Oct. 31
Crystal Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Woodstock Theatre presents “Scooby-Doo” Oct. 11
- Chicago Family Fun Expo offers hands-on fun
- New China Restaurant celebrates grand re-opening
- National Farm Safety & Health Week focuses on “Protecting What Matters”
- Crystal Lake South’s Gators inspire young Dist. 47 readers
- The Listening Room presents Steve Sebby, singer/songwriter
- INTREN goes the distance to support Women In Business
- MAV Music Leadership Award nominations now open
- It’s all about outdoors at Saturday festival in Cary
- Helping homeless might win you a bike
- 2013 Fire Prevention Month Coloring Contest and Escape Plan Winners! Top Row: Devin Pantelin, Tyler Fikis, Jack DiCosola, Devin Concha, Chloe Holz, Amina Hatanaka, Jacob Flesher, Hunter McCarthy, Jocelyn Erling, Lindsay Potts; Bottom Row: Matt Mowers, Tegan Van Wiel, Bobby Leonard, Jack Wright on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at the Hampshire FIre Station , 202 Washington Ave. William
Blessing of Graduates at Christ United Methodist Church
Front: Pastor Lee, Emily Williams, Steve Riedinger, Ryan Greenwood, Logan Moring, Rachel Hugg Second row: Julie Kupkreja, Kelley Williams, Pauly Ramsey, Shelli Morning, Doug Literski, Eric Hugg Backrow: Ralph Bergstrom, Joe Greenwood, Eleanor Kilberger, Joe Kilberger, Judy Baker Maria Lee
Crystal Lake Resident Donates at 'Blood Drive for Bonnie'
Ron Roesslein, Crystal Lake, was among many area residents who visited the LifeSource blood drive “Blood Drive for Bonnie” held March 16 at Crystal Lake Ice House Skating Rink. A first-time blood donor, Roesslein donated blood to benefit 12-year-old Bonnie Vonder Haar of Ingleside, who was diagnosed with leukemia last month. The LifeSource blood drive was sponsored by the McHenry County Youth Hockey community, and her teammates from the Youth 14 Girls Yellowjacket Hockey team. Silbar Public Relations
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Third grade students from St. Margaret Mary School in Algonquin enjoy a Geosphere presentation in honor of Earth Day at McHenry County College on April 14 Donna Bieschke
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
If life gives you flooding, take some pictures!
This is how the grass fields next to our community looked like after the flooding. Sergio Toranzo
Launching of 2013 Confirmation Class at Christ Church of Algonquin
Top photo: (kneeling left to right) Jensen Jones, Celine Jones,Casey Deak, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Carrie Jones, Gary Slagle, Shelli Moring,Robin Deak
Lower photo: (front row) Alison Blackmore, Nicholas Masek, Dale Harden, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Lisa Greenwood, Cathy Blackmore, Cheryl Fournier, Eric Linner, Linda Mullen, Gary Slagle
Last row: Debbie Thomas, Mark Gatsakos,Mark Harden Maria Lee
- A handful of LifeSource staff pose with some of the food donated by blood donors to Northern Illinois Food Bank and the Greater Chicago Food Depository as part of its "Triple Your Giving" promotion. LifeSource invited its Crystal Lake blood donors to bring along non-perishable food items when they visited its donor center at 5577 Northwest Highway through December. Along with the food, LifeSource donated $1,400 to each organization. Courtesy of LifeSource
- Kozi Salon in Lake Barrington attends a fundraiser-fashion show sponsored by Italian American Women Organization with the theme, "The Great Gatsby." The annual show benefits "One Step At A Time" camp for children with cancer and leukemia, operated by COSI-Children Oncology Services Inc. a nonprofit charitable organization. Pictured from right: Violetta Kozicki-owner/stylist, Amanda Castilo-stylist, Claudia McCoy-owner/stylist, Zaneta Modrzejewska-stylist. The program gives children facing cancer a chance to bond with other pediatric cancer patients and survivors in a non-hospital setting and is open to children ages 7 to 19.
McHenry Rotary Inducts Two New Members
Left to right, Assistant District Governor, Don Brewer, and new members Denis Buch, McHenry Contractor, and Darren Wagner, Sales Manager, Elm Street Walgreen's Drug Store. William P. McLemore
Pastor Lee recently conducted a new member service at Christ United Methodist Church, of Algonquin, IL.
New members Larry Huber, Sandy Huber, Jud Strickland (seated) and Wanda Strickland were presented with roses by Kim Aupperle (on left) Maria Lee
- Crystal Lake resident, Mike Split, races in costume in the 5k Soles for the Dole that benefited Lakeside Legacy Foundation and Girls on the Run of Northwest IL. Patty Bell, Lakeside Legacy Foundation Marketing Assistant
Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen recently took 7th place in the world with this stuffed Crust BLT Pizza
Come get one for yourself at 1506 W Algonquin Road in Palatine IL 60067; 847-221-5922 Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- Congressman Roskam cancelled his meeting with families to discuss immigration reform and its effect on families. The families then decorated his door with messages written on colorful butterflies. The butterflies symbolize freedom and migration. Colin Tysoe
Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset welcomes 3 new members
Rotary District 6440 Governor Sarah Oliver, new member Carrie Hintz, new member and Rotary District 6440 Assistant Governor Carlton Ames, Rotarian Kevin Bruning, and Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset President Linda Liddell Ellen Bruning
Sockers FC U13 US Club Soccer Regional Tournament Champions
Top left: Emily Olson, Dolly Nwachuckwu, Kylie Graves, Brinley McVeigh, Skye Kingsley, Julianne Hutchison, Giuliana Cunningham, Hannah Northfell
Bottom: Felicia Moncada, Aly Kilburg, Anna Johnston, Celiana Torres, Cassie Farber, Hannah Richardson (not pictured: Coach Ahmed Gad) S McVeigh
- No. 8 Quarterback Michael Loveless runs for a first down on the last carry of the game to seal the first Super Bowl victory for Crystal Lake heavyweights since 2002. Christine Loveless
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Cardunal Crop Walk hosted by Congregational Church of Algonquin that includes Christ United Methodist Church of Algonquin and the Congregational Church of Dundee Maria Lee
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake Central High School
- 45 W. Franklin St.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Prairie Ridge High School
- 6000 Dvorak Dr.
Crystal Lake, Il 60012
Daily Herald Communities
- A Good Place to Live
- 60012, 60014
- 42.226423, -88.335439
- McHenry County