A few school districts in the suburbs have announced early dismissals or outright closings because of the forecast heat today.
St. Charles Unit District 303 reported on its website that Corron, Norton Creek and Wild Rose Elementary Schools will be closed today.
Haines and Thompson Middle Schools will have an early dismissal at noon.
Indian Prairie Unit District 204 announced earlier Monday it is canceling classes today at the 20 schools in the Aurora-Naperville district that are without air conditioning.
Elementary schools closing are: Brookdale, Brooks, Builta, Clow, Cowlishaw, Fry, Georgetown, Gombert, Graham, Kendall, Longwood, McCarty, Patterson, Spring Brook, Steck, Watts, Welch, White Eagle, and Young.
Classes have also been canceled at Indian Plains, the district's alternative high school.
Also, the YMCA's Safe n' Sound program in schools without air-conditioning has been canceled.
All other schools in the district have air conditioning and will operate as usual on today, District 204 said.
West Aurora School District 129 announced it will release students early today, according to the following schedule.
• 10:40 a.m. -- The high school will meet periods 4, 5, 6 and 7. Practices will be held immediately after this early dismissal time.
• 11 a.m. -- Todd Early Childhood Center and no afternoon preschool
• 11 a.m. -- Hope Wall preschool and no afternoon preschool
• 11:20 a.m. -- elementary schools and Hope Wall School
• Noon -- middle schools, no after-school athletic practices or events.
No lunches will be served to students, District 129 said. Special Education Private Placement students will be on their regular schedule -- they do not have an early release. The evening Success Academy at West High will remain on its regular schedule. Sack lunches will be provided.
Kindi Academy in Lisle is not having preschoolers or kindergartners come to school today, according to the Emergency Closing Center. But classes remain scheduled for grades 1-8.
A number of schools in Waukegan are starting late and leaving early, or staying closed altogether today, as Waukegan Public School District 60 outlined Monday:
• High school campuses will begin at 8 a.m. and dismiss at 2:05 p.m. Zero period will be in place and will begin at 7:15 a.m., the district said.
• All middle schools will begin at 7 a.m. and dismiss at 1:05 p.m.
• Early elementary schools (Cooke & Lyon) will begin at 7 a.m. and dismiss at 12:40 p.m. AM kindergarten at both schools will run from 7 to 9 a.m. PM kindergarten will run from 10:40 a.m. to 12:40 p.m.
• Late elementary schools (Carman, Clark, Clearview, Glen Flora, Glenwood, Greenwood, Hyde Park, Little Fort, McCall, North, Oakdale, Washington, Whittier) will begin at 8 a.m. and dismiss at 1:40 p.m. AM kindergarten at these schools will run from 8 to 10 a.m. PM kindergarten will run from 11:40 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
More information can be found on District 60's website.