On September 22, 2013, Lombard will be covered in pink as thousands of breast cancer fighters and supporters gather together for the Susan G. Komen Chicagoland Race for the CureŽ. The event will honor those who have battled breast cancer and further the mission of the Chicagoland Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen -- to save lives and end breast cancer forever.
"Our Mother's Day Race for the Cure last month in Grant Park was a huge success. The Lombard race brings the same excitement, camaraderie and awareness, afforded to the Chicago race, to DuPage County, our second largest service area," said Rita Forden, CEO of Komen Chicago.
Contact information ( * required )
Money raised by the Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure funds breast health education, breast cancer screening, treatment, treatment support and patient navigation services to uninsured and underserved women and men in need. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds generated by the Chicago Affiliate are used to support these life-saving efforts in the Chicagoland community, while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of net funds raised support global research. There are currently 16 active research grants in Illinois totaling over $6.4 million. In 2013, Komen Chicago granted nearly $1.3 million to 17 community organizations, and in total has awarded over $13.5 million to the fight against breast cancer in the Chicagoland area.
The Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure in Lombard will begin and end at the Yorktown Center Mall, with a route weaving through the scenic residential areas of Lombard. Participants will have the option to choose from a 5K timed run, 5K or 1 mile fun walk, or the Sleep in for the Cure event. Major local sponsors returning to support Komen Chicago include Cancer Treatment Centers of America, CH Robinson, Kraft, NBC Universal, PepsiCo, Walgreens and Yorktown Center.
Additionally, Komen Chicago is upholding the tradition of hosting its annual Race for the Cure on Mother's Day, with next year's race on Sunday, May 11, 2014. For more information, to sign up, donate, or volunteer, visit www.komenchicago.org.
About the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen Ž
The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen was established in 1997 and held the first Susan G. Komen Chicago Race for the CureŽ. The Chicagoland affiliate is one of only two affiliates that operate two Race for the CureŽ events and has awarded over $13.5 million towards the fight against breast cancer by funding grassroots breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, as well as global research. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds generated by the Komen Chicagoland Affiliate stay in the metropolitan area while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) supports the Susan G. KomenŽ Grants Program for research. For more information please call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org.