Communities » Downers Grove Area News
Early voting off to fast start in suburbsWhether it’s because of enthusiasm for a candidate or a desire to avoid long lines, record numbers of suburban voters are casting ballots before Election Day.Last Updated Oct 27, 2016 5:36 PM
Hinsdale South student remains in custodyUpdated Oct 26, 2016 5:12 PM
The Hinsdale South High School student accused of threatening armed violence at the school earlier this month will remain in custody until at least Nov. 4.
Foster, Khouri take different stances on national security, gunsUpdated Oct 25, 2016 6:16 PM
11th U.S. Congressional District candidates Bill Foster and Tonia Khouri share their thoughts on national security and gun regulations.
‘El Barto’s’ admission to police in Naperville graffiti spree ruled inadmissableUpdated Oct 25, 2016 4:27 PM
A DuPage County judge ruled Tuesday that evidence in the case of a Naperville man accused of littering downtown Naperville with “Simpsons”-inspired graffiti was collected illegally and his subsequent statements to police should be thrown out.
Immigration reform divides Roskam, HowlandPosted Oct 25, 2016 1:00 AM
The candidates vying for the 6th Congressional District seat disagree on how to reform the nation’s immigration system.
Foster, Khouri debate role of government in educationPosted Oct 25, 2016 1:00 AM
11th Congressional District candidates Bill Foster and Tonia Khouri have opposite views about the federal government’s role in education.
Accolades pour in for Aurora Mayor Tom Weisner as he prepares to step downUpdated Oct 24, 2016 11:07 PM
Hundreds of residents and local officials filtered through Aurora’s Paramount Theater’s Grand Gallery Monday afternoon and evening to send Aurora Mayor Tom Weisner off with praise and gifts. Weisner, who as not seeking a fourth term is leaving office during his third term as he continues to battle colon cancer.
Gift collection underway for Operation Christmas ChildPosted Oct 24, 2016 6:00 AM
Shoe boxes can hold more than shoes. The Operation Christmas Child project proves it with millions of shoeboxes filled with school supplies, toiletries and toys for needy children.
Suburban emergency crews put to the test during airport drillUpdated Oct 22, 2016 4:34 PM
More than a dozen local and federal agencies participated in a plane crash simulation Saturday at the DuPage Airport in West Chicago
- DuPage tourism study closer to final stage
- Aurora man charged with impersonating a U.S. Marshal
Downers Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- COD Celebrates Student, Faculty and Staff Art
- A Woman’s View on Trump
- Healthy Lombard Receives Grant From TCF Bank
- COD Women’s Soccer Win Regional Championship, Compete for District Title Oct. 29
- COD Foundation Scholarship Reception Celebrates Recipients and Donors
- Kathy Cabai Receives ASATT 2016 Region 4 Educational Award
- Sen. Nybo discusses healthcare with nurses, other professionals at Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital
- Student ‘right at home’ at Marklund Day School
- IMPACT 100 CHICAGO OPENS ANNUAL GRANT CYCLE; ACCEPTING NONPROFIT APPLICATIONS FOR $100,000 GRANTS
- BenU visiting scholar will discuss Laudato Si’s theological tapestry
- Garden Club of Downers Grove presents $1000 to West Chicago nursery and garden center employing young adults with disabilities Marianna Holm
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- Ken Carlson, manager of Carlson Art Supply and Framing, and Elaine Rau, teacher at Community School of the Arts, got together at Carlson's Wheaton store and held an art viewing for her young students work. Art can be seen still in our window. brad carlson
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Gerda Jucys of Downers Grove is all smiles after winning this past weekend’s USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament title at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. Jucys defeated Hinsdale’s Katie Dollens 6-4, 6-3 in the title match. Midtown Athletic Club
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
- Evelyn Harmon enjoying the day at Downers Grove Swim and Racquet Club. Hannah Ruddy
- On June 9,, 2015, the Rotary Club of Western Springs welcomed the recipients of their Club’s 2015 scholarships and their families to breakfast. The scholarship winners got a chance to share their experiences at Lyons Township High School as well as discuss their plans for college. Each year the Rotary Club of Western Springs performs their 500 Club fundraiser, which provides funding for three scholarships. In 2015 scholarships were awarded to Daniel Archundia (of Indian Head Park) winner of the Ken Means Scholarship Award; Victory Lampert (of La Grange Park) and Jeanne Caplice (of Western Springs.) Jason Dobrzynski
- Downers Grove , Illinois Barth Pond spills over engulfing 55th Street in it's path. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Midwestern University recently held commencement ceremonies on its Downers Grove Campus to celebrate nearly 700 graduates who are beginning their professional careers in healthcare. This year also marked the graduation of inaugural classes from two programs of study – dental medicine and speech-language pathology. During the ceremonies, Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., President and CEO of the University, acknowledged the many achievements of the graduates during their years of rigorous study and clinical experiences. Susan Hershberg/Midwestern University
- Oak Brook Women's Club 4-29-14 Fundraiser, Fashion Show and Luncheon. Jeff Award winning singer Angela Ingersoll will entertain us during our fashion show. unknown
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Edward Baumgarten, left, and Alec Hansen were a hit last week when they performed in seven presentations of Spotlight Youth Theater's "A Year With Frog and Toad." They are part of a cast of approximately 100 students who will perform in three more shows May 15-17. To purchase tickets to the show, visit www.spotlight.org or call (847) 516-2298. The cost of tickets is $12 or $10 for children and seniors. Group discounts are available. Jennifer Heim Photography
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
More Downers Grove News
- Downers Grove Business
- DuPage tourism study closer to final stage
- College of DuPage Interior Design Program receives award
- Home sales in region slows
- Rauner orders statewide review of rules and regulations
- Rauner to sign executive order on regulations at COD Monday
- Downers Grove Entertainment
- DuPage tourism study closer to final stage
- Gift collection underway for Operation Christmas Child
- Downers Grove Opinion
- Why Alzheimer’s fight must go on
- See McKee House for what it can be
- Endorsement: Foster for Congress, 11th District
- Stand tough on fuel efficiency rules
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bolingbrook High School
- 365 Raider Way
Bolingbrook, Il 60440
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
Daily Herald Communities
- 60515, 60516, 60517
- 41.79073, -88.014855
- DuPage County