Communities » Downers Grove Area News
Lester: Caregivers are leaving their jobs for higher pay in fast food, retailSome employees of Ray Graham Association, based in Lisle, are leaving jobs their for higher-paying positions in fast-food or big-box stores as the clock is ticking on GOP Gov. Bruce Rauner to sign or veto a bill raising pay for caregivers for those with disabilities, columnist Kerry Lester writes.Last Updated Aug 25, 2016 10:40 AM
DuPage judge orders Naperville cops to release dashcam videoUpdated Aug 25, 2016 10:41 AM
A DuPage judge on Wednesday ordered Naperville police to make public video footage from the squad car of an officer who authorities say was falsely accused of trying to run over a Lisle man.
DuPage hires four lobbying firmsUpdated Aug 23, 2016 5:52 PM
DuPage County officials defended the county’s use of lobbyists before awarding one-year contracts to four firms.
DuPage to buy more equipment for November electionUpdated Aug 23, 2016 5:01 PM
The DuPage County Election Commission plans to spend more than $500,000 on equipment to speed same-day voter registration at the polls in November.
Could WSC be even better than last year?Updated Aug 23, 2016 11:57 AM
Perennial champion Glenbard West remains favored in the West Suburban Silver but, as always, the Gold appears up for grabs.
Lombard woman pleads not guilty to running over boyfriendUpdated Aug 22, 2016 8:49 PM
A Lombard woman accused of using her car to run over and severely injure her boyfriend pleaded not guilty Monday to numerous charges.
DuComm may move to county building in WheatonUpdated Aug 22, 2016 4:07 PM
A 911 dispatching center that serves dozens of police and fire departments in DuPage County is planning to move into the county’s former youth home by 2018.
Lester: Illinois Supreme Court justice goes undercover in bond courtUpdated Aug 22, 2016 2:15 PM
Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne Burke says she sometimes goes “undercover” to watch Cook County’s bond court call and doesn’t always like what she sees, Columnist Kerry Lester writes.
Wheeling nonprofit, community come together to bury abandoned babiesPosted Aug 20, 2016 7:26 AM
Rest In His Arms, a Wheeling non-profit started 11 years ago to provide free funerals and burials to abandoned babies, is among several groups and individuals that have reached out to the DuPage County Coroner this week, offering to provide a final act of dignity for Baby Hope.
- DuPage investigators searching for clues about Baby Hope’s mom
- Scouting the Downers Grove South Mustangs
- Scouting the Downers Grove North Trojans
- College, career fair prepares students for big decisions
- DuPage election agency may impose restrictions on its representatives
Downers Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Month-long Roadside Safety Check in West Chicago
- Family Fun Endurance Bike Ride to Support Easter Seals DuPage & Fox Valley
- COD President Dr. Ann Rondeau Keynotes Veterans Day at Illinois State Fair
- College of DuPage Celebrates Investiture of President Dr. Ann Rondeau
- College of DuPage Board Approves Participation in CAREER Consortium
- Downers Grove Dist. 58 welcomes new administrators
- Heart patient will be on field to help unfurl Bear Down flag at Aug. 27 Chicago Bears game
- Charity Holding Bowling Fundraiser to Fight Hunger
- College of DuPage to Host ‘Writing on the Edge’ Conference Sept. 24
- Chaparral Football Preps for 2016-2017 Season, Special Recognition Games
- Garden Club of Downers Grove presents $1000 to West Chicago nursery and garden center employing young adults with disabilities Marianna Holm
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- Ken Carlson, manager of Carlson Art Supply and Framing, and Elaine Rau, teacher at Community School of the Arts, got together at Carlson's Wheaton store and held an art viewing for her young students work. Art can be seen still in our window. brad carlson
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Gerda Jucys of Downers Grove is all smiles after winning this past weekend’s USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament title at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. Jucys defeated Hinsdale’s Katie Dollens 6-4, 6-3 in the title match. Midtown Athletic Club
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
- Evelyn Harmon enjoying the day at Downers Grove Swim and Racquet Club. Hannah Ruddy
- On June 9,, 2015, the Rotary Club of Western Springs welcomed the recipients of their Club’s 2015 scholarships and their families to breakfast. The scholarship winners got a chance to share their experiences at Lyons Township High School as well as discuss their plans for college. Each year the Rotary Club of Western Springs performs their 500 Club fundraiser, which provides funding for three scholarships. In 2015 scholarships were awarded to Daniel Archundia (of Indian Head Park) winner of the Ken Means Scholarship Award; Victory Lampert (of La Grange Park) and Jeanne Caplice (of Western Springs.) Jason Dobrzynski
- Downers Grove , Illinois Barth Pond spills over engulfing 55th Street in it's path. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Midwestern University recently held commencement ceremonies on its Downers Grove Campus to celebrate nearly 700 graduates who are beginning their professional careers in healthcare. This year also marked the graduation of inaugural classes from two programs of study – dental medicine and speech-language pathology. During the ceremonies, Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., President and CEO of the University, acknowledged the many achievements of the graduates during their years of rigorous study and clinical experiences. Susan Hershberg/Midwestern University
- Oak Brook Women's Club 4-29-14 Fundraiser, Fashion Show and Luncheon. Jeff Award winning singer Angela Ingersoll will entertain us during our fashion show. unknown
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Edward Baumgarten, left, and Alec Hansen were a hit last week when they performed in seven presentations of Spotlight Youth Theater's "A Year With Frog and Toad." They are part of a cast of approximately 100 students who will perform in three more shows May 15-17. To purchase tickets to the show, visit www.spotlight.org or call (847) 516-2298. The cost of tickets is $12 or $10 for children and seniors. Group discounts are available. Jennifer Heim Photography
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
More Downers Grove News
- Downers Grove Sports
- Could WSC be even better than last year?
- Scouting the Downers Grove South Mustangs
- Scouting the Downers Grove North Trojans
- Downers Grove Business
- COD’s nursing program achieves 100 percent pass rate
- Suburban companies help Brazil with products, services during Olympics
- DuPage Medical Group adds 2 physicians
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bolingbrook High School
- 365 Raider Way
Bolingbrook, Il 60440
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
Daily Herald Communities
- 60515, 60516, 60517
- 41.79073, -88.014855
- DuPage County