Communities » Downers Grove Area News
Budget cut ideas separate 81st House candidatesMedicaid often is targeted as one area of the state budget where cuts should be made, and the candidates for the 81st state House seat in the Downers Grove area are among those taking aim. But Republican incumbent Ron Sandack and Democratic challenger Liz Chaplin see the problem differently and offer opposing perspectives on how the state’s financial situation should be improved. “The right question is should we be reinventing state government and looking at it from a different perspective,” Sandack said.Last Updated Oct 16, 2014 9:47 AM
From Australia to Schaumburg, RTA exec still on trackPosted Oct 20, 2014 6:01 AM
Kukec's People features Leanne Redden and her trek from Syndey, Australia, where she was born and raised, to Illinois, where she got married, raised a family and is now the RTA executive director.
Book notes: Mario Batali intros new book at Tivoli TheatrePosted Oct 18, 2014 6:45 AM
Chef, restaurateur, TV personality and author Mario Batali introduces his new book, “America Farm to Table,” co-authored by Jim Webster, at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 23, at the Tivoli Theatre in Downers Grove.
Theater artists look back on their suburban startsUpdated Oct 21, 2014 10:33 AM
Here's a look at several suburban theater artists who are making their presence known on Chicago stages, from a Downers Grove actress in Porchlight's "Sweeney Todd" to a Lisle native setting sail in Griffin's "Titanic."
Downers Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- COD, Easter Seals celebrate 15-year photo collaboration
- McAninch Arts Center receives LEED certification
- Our HOMe Improvement Donates Carpeting to Clearbrook
- Forgotten Chicagoans rediscovered; 8,000 names identified in Chicago cemetery records
- COD Instructor Receives Prestigious Award
- COD Concealed Carry Class Nov. 8
- Downers Grove Family Celebrates 5th Birthday While Raising Money and Awareness for Apraxia
- National Title Solutions’ Anthony Latham and Team Bring Home The Hardware at the IMBA Best In Business Awards Gala
- Fox Valley Antiques Show & Sale explores “Pioneer Spirit”
- “Run, Walk & Roll” Oct. 26 to benefit Marklund
- Garrett Ard and Lisa Dawn Foertsch rehearse for Wheaton Drama's special Broadway musical revue, "Broadway Ballot". Performances are Aug. 17-19 at Playhouse 111. Tickets and information at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- Ken Carlson, manager of Carlson Art Supply and Framing, and Elaine Rau, teacher at Community School of the Arts, got together at Carlson's Wheaton store and held an art viewing for her young students work. Art can be seen still in our window. brad carlson
- The Pro-Life Action League hosted Christmas caroling around an empty manger outside of the Planned Parenthood in Aurora on the Saturday before Christmas. Sharing the hope of life-saving alternatives with women considering abortion, the pro-life carolers visited five different abortion providers in Chicago and four in the western suburbs (Aurora, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, and Hinsdale). Details at www.prolifeaction.org. courtesy of Pro-Life Action League
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Gerda Jucys of Downers Grove is all smiles after winning this past weekend’s USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament title at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. Jucys defeated Hinsdale’s Katie Dollens 6-4, 6-3 in the title match. Midtown Athletic Club
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- What a difference a few weeks make, as Lisle Township's Food Pantry garden grows near ready for harvest, with all produce going to the families who come to the pantry for help. Lois Biggins
- Nancy Tarulis & her two Grandsons begin work on a new garden for Lisle Township's Food Pantry Lois Biggins
- Downers Grove , Illinois Barth Pond spills over engulfing 55th Street in it's path. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- John Scherer, M.M.S., a graduate of the Physician Assistant Program, celebrates after his commencement ceremony at Midwestern University. The University marked the end of summer with graduation ceremonies for students in the Physician Assistant, Occupational Therapy, and Clinical Psychology programs. Midwestern University
- Oak Brook Women's Club 4-29-14 Fundraiser, Fashion Show and Luncheon. Jeff Award winning singer Angela Ingersoll will entertain us during our fashion show. unknown
- West Chicago elected officials and staff, Old Time Pottery executives and representatives of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce cut the ceremonial ribbon at a daylong celebration which welcomes the retailer to their new home at the northwest corner of Illinois 59 & 64. Rosemary Mackey
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Jeena Greenwalt(l), Director of NEDSRA, and Nora Sandoval, also from NEDSRA, salsa the afternoon away at the Hispanic Families of NEDSRA Summer Fiesta this past weekend. Bruce Flowers
- Owen Chaldez, shouts with glee (or terror) at the sight of a small tree toad found at St.James Farm in Warrenville. Bruce Flowers
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Downers Grove News
- Downers Grove Business
- From Australia to Schaumburg, RTA exec still on track
- KUKEC: $10,000 for a TV? LG says its OLED is worth it
- Downers Grove Entertainment
- Book notes: Mario Batali intros new book at Tivoli
- Theater artists look back on their suburban starts
- Book notes: ‘My Cat From Hell’ host visits Anderson’s
- Downers Grove Discussion
- Endorsement: Sandack in House Dist. 81
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bolingbrook High School
- 365 Raider Way
Bolingbrook, Il 60440
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
What do you want on Metra trains?
|New, nicer, better train cars.||15.7%|
|A system coordinated with the CTA and Pace.||11.3%|
|Covered stations in winter.||9.5%|
|A system with fewer weather or other delays.||20.3%|
|I really want more Metra access points/train routes.||18.0%|
Daily Herald Communities
- 60515, 60516, 60517
- 41.79073, -88.014855
- DuPage County