Communities » Elmhurst Area News
Elmhurst police seek help finding hit-and-run driverElmhurst police are asking for help finding the driver of a light-colored Peterbilt semitrailer truck that they believe was involved in a hit-and-run that injured a man at York Road and Fullerton Avenue. Police said the truck was driving north on York when it hit a 26-year-old man about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. Paramedics took the injured man to Edward-Elmhurst Memorial Hospital.Last Updated Mar 25, 2015 2:32 PM
Images: Our best photos you may have missed this weekendUpdated Mar 23, 2015 10:03 AM
See some of the best pictures by Daily Herald photographers from this past weekend.
Recently shared by others
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices KoenigRubloff Realty Group honored as No. 3 in nation, No. 1 in Midwest at national convention
- COD physics professor gets nailed in class
- Author Sam Weller Shares Work at College of DuPage Writers Read Series
- College of DuPage Welcomes Community to Renovated Naperville Regional Center
- College of DuPage Offers New Game Animation and Design Degree
- Bensenville police awarded Tier I Accreditation
- Health Insurance for People 65 + Years
- Elmhurst Choral Union includes local church choir in new work
- “Why Opera?” program coming to Wheaton’s Danada Room March 25
- Display your skills for collegiate coaches at JUCO Spring Hoops Showcase
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- DTA Wildcats 15U Red Michael Calderone hit a monster Grand Slam, estimated 370 feet, in the victory over Crystal Lake at the Mickey Sund Classic last weekend. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Mimi shows her catch at the Oakbrook Terrace/NEDSRA fishing derby held this past Sunday at Terrace View Park Lake. Mimi won an award for most fish caught. Bruce Flowers
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- Friday, April 12, 2013, Joey won the 139 lb Golden Glove Championship held at Cicero Stadium. He fought three (3) fights to get to this championship. Joey was also the 2011 Chicago Park District Champion and 2012 Junior Olympic Champion. Joey's trainers are his grandfather, former Illinois Attorney General and Golden Glove Champion Jim Ryan along with Joey's father John Ryan, also a former boxer Chicago Golden Gloves
- Jose Moreno takes a shot in front of John Thompson Center during a wheelchair basketball exhibition during ADA week. The Jr.Bulls come from NEDSRA located in Addison. Jeena Greenwalt
- Loni Cohen of Glen Ellyn receives the Violet Richardson Award fron Diane Kegley, Soroptimist Club President at the 24th Annual Awards function at the Hi View Restaurant on May 18. Sue Schumsacher
- Ray Strzewski and Kara Altman enjoy dancing at the Itasca Country Club on Friday. Bruce Flowers
NEDSRA Talent Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
NEDSRA Theater Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
- Oak Brook Women's Club 4-29-14 Fundraiser, Fashion Show and Luncheon. Jeff Award winning singer Angela Ingersoll will entertain us during our fashion show. unknown
- Jeena Greenwalt(l), Director of NEDSRA, and Nora Sandoval, also from NEDSRA, salsa the afternoon away at the Hispanic Families of NEDSRA Summer Fiesta this past weekend. Bruce Flowers
"Two Men And A Cause"
Elmhurst resident Karen Crum and Two Men And A Truck operations manager Mark Sullivan. Ms. Crum grew up in Washington, IL where tornadoes recently hit. She organized and collected over 8 car loads of relief donations for tornado victims. Along with other volunteers Two Men And A Truck donated their services to transport the items to Washington and Peoria. Chris Rowlee
- Veterans and their families were honored with a breakfast buffet at Salt Creek Golf Club on November 9, 2013. Ellen Hart
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently installed a slate of officers who will serve for the next two years. Pictured from left to right are: President Anna Weselak; Anne Marie Rosen, Board Director; Kay Van Vreede, Vice President; Peggy McGinnis, Treasurer; Kathleen Ray, Secretary and Susan Barton, Board Director. All are residents of the western suburbs. The installation ceremony took place at the Dupage Club in Oakbrook Terrace at the May meeting of the club and was officiated by Brandy Harrington, Area 1 Director.
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook is one of over 1200 clubs, with a worldwide membership of over 30,000. Founded in 1919, Zonta International, headquartered in Oak Brook, is a global organization of executives and professionals working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy. Funds raised by local clubs not only support local agencies for women but also support international projects designed to promote the status of women in the areas of health and well-being, education and self-sufficiency. More information can be found at http://www.zonta.org.
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook meets monthly, usually on the 3rd Tuesday of the month with a dinner program. Persons interested in finding out more about the club or attending a meeting are urged to contact Anna Weselak at AWeselak@weselak.com. Susan Barton
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- IC Catholic Prep
- 217 Cottage Hill
Elmhurst, Il 60126
- Navy Blue/White
- Timothy Christian High School
- 1061 S. Prospect Ave.
Elmhurst, Il 60126
- York Community High School
- 355 W. St. Charles Rd.
Elmhurst, Il 60126
- Kelly Green/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Ideal for Your Business, Your Family, Your Life!
- 41.89228, -87.943762
- DuPage County