Spring into action against allergies
DUPAGE COUNTY—Spring arrives today and the DuPage County Health Department has suggestions for people with hay fever to limit their exposure to pollen and mold.
Spring marks the beginning of symptoms for people who cope with this allergy. Seasonal hay fever is one of the most common kinds of allergies. About 35 million Americans suffer from hay fever. Symptoms include sneezing, stuffiness, a runny nose, and itchiness in your nose, the roof of your mouth, throat, eyes or ears. Sometimes the symptoms can turn into chronic respiratory problems, such as asthma.
There is no cure, but the Health Department recommends these steps to limit your exposure to the pollen and mold that cause your symptoms:
• Keep track of pollen and mold levels in the air and try to stay indoors when levels are reported to be high.
• Wear a pollen mask if long periods of exposure are unavoidable.
• Keep your windows closed in your house and car.
• If possible, use air conditioning. It cleans, cools and dries the air.
• Don't mow lawns or rake leaves because it stirs up pollen and mold. If you can't avoid these activities, wear a mask.
• Avoid hanging sheets or clothes outside to dry. Pollen can adhere to the fabric.
• Take a shower after coming indoors. Otherwise, pollen in your hair may bother you all night.
You can also try using over-the-counter remedies to control your symptoms. Talk to your doctor to find out what medication or other treatments are best for you.
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close