Communities » Westmont Area News
Through descendants, vivid tales of Eastland survivors keep memory alive101 years ago Sunday the S.S. Eastland pitched over in the Chicago River, taking the lives of 884 passengers and crew - still the single worst shipwreck disaster on the Great Lakes. Through the East Disaster Historical Society, the Daily Herald talked with three descendants of survivors, whose riveting stories of that day keep the disaster alive.Last Updated Jul 24, 2016 8:18 AM
DuPage seeks ideas from public on boosting tourismUpdated Jul 22, 2016 5:07 PM
The DuPage County Convention and Visitors Bureau will host three meetings on Monday and Tuesday to invite public suggestions and comments on improving tourism in the region.
Outside help needed to save landmark building near Glen EllynUpdated Jul 19, 2016 4:23 PM
DuPage County Forest Preserve President Joseph Cantore says the McKee House near Glen Ellyn could be spared from the wrecking ball if preservationists rally to save it.
Now some in DuPage can join military to avoid prosecutionPosted Jul 18, 2016 5:38 AM
Nonviolent first-time offenders in DuPage County will have a new option starting Monday that could lead to their court cases being dismissed and records expunged: join the military. Military recruiters will be on hand once a month outside the county’s felony and misdemeanor courtrooms to prescreen potential recruits.
Recently shared by others
- Indo-American Heritage Museum celebrates Hall of Fame opening with gala concert
- Join annual golf outing Aug. 22 supporting manufacturing
- 6th Annual Mundelein Arts Festiva Coming This Fall
- Five physicists to duke it out at Windy City Physics Slam Aug. 7
- Deadline nears for veteran appreciation awards
- Nominations due for Veteran Volunteer of the Year award
- How to beat the heat
- Culver’s of Downers Grove Supports Special Olympics With ‘ButterBurgers & Badges’ Fundraiser August 9
- Former COD Student Alexis Reisch Receives Fulbright Award for Research in Sweden
- Birches residents reflect on wedding day memories
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
- Barth Pond on 55th Street floods over , closing the road.. Timothy Miskell
- A car gets engulfed by flooding waters on 55th Street in Downers Grove next to Barth Pond Timothy Miskell
- House along 55th Street in Westmont get their own little ponds. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding along 55th Street in Westmont today. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding left 55th Street a mess , causing many loacl ponds to flood over. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
- Flooding throught Westmont and Downers Grove leave many stranded along 55th Street Timothy Miskell Westmont,Il.
- Flooding along 55th Street spills out into side streets in Westmont. Timothy Miskell
- Flooding left many people with miniature ponds in their yards. Taken along 55th Street. Timothy Miskell of Westmont,Il.
- On June 9,, 2015, the Rotary Club of Western Springs welcomed the recipients of their Club’s 2015 scholarships and their families to breakfast. The scholarship winners got a chance to share their experiences at Lyons Township High School as well as discuss their plans for college. Each year the Rotary Club of Western Springs performs their 500 Club fundraiser, which provides funding for three scholarships. In 2015 scholarships were awarded to Daniel Archundia (of Indian Head Park) winner of the Ken Means Scholarship Award; Victory Lampert (of La Grange Park) and Jeanne Caplice (of Western Springs.) Jason Dobrzynski
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Many schools closed through out the area. Some busses were still on the road trying to get through , 55th Street Westmont,Il. Timothy Miskell
- Today's flooding leaves many stranded along 55th Street in Downers Grove and Westmont. Timothy Miskell of Westmont
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
More Westmont News
- Westmont Business
- DuPage seeks ideas from public on boosting tourism
- New COD president shares vision video
- Westmont Entertainment
- DuPage seeks ideas from public on boosting tourism
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Downers Grove South High School
- 1436 Norfolk
Downers Grove, Il 60516
- Navy/Columbia Blue
- Westmont High School
- 909 N. Oakwood Dr.
Westmont, Il 60559
Daily Herald Communities
- 41.79448, -87.976433
- DuPage County