DUPAGE COUNTY--As we approach the busy holiday shopping season, the DuPage County Health Department is offering the following safety tips to shoppers who will be buying toys for children.
Before you purchase a toy:
• Read all warnings and instructions on the box.
• Ask yourself if the toy is right for your child's ability and age.
• Avoid purchasing toys with sharp or rigid points, spikes, rods, or dangerous edges.
• Check the lenses and frames of children's sunglasses; many can break and cause injuries.
• Buy toys that will withstand impact and not break into dangerous shards.
• Look for the letters "ASTM." This means the product meets the national safety standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
• Avoid toys that shoot or include parts that fly off. Remember that BB guns are NOT toys.
Before allowing children to play with toys:
• Inspect toys for safe, sturdy construction.
• Explain how to use the toy.
• Fix or throw away broken toys.
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.