Graduates in the Class of 2022: 315
Graduation Ceremony: Thursday, May 26, Benet Academy
Valedictorian: Jacqueline Yap of Naperville
Salutatorian: Maureen Gallagher of Lisle
Honors: 156 students will be graduating with honors
Class Officers: President: Christopher Picchione of Wheaton; Vice President: Grace Balsamo of Downers Grove; Treasurer: Eleanor Bickelhaupt of Bolingbrook; Secretary: Tomás Melgoza III of Naperville.
• Benet battled and won the IHSA Division 3A State Championship, finishing as the #1 team of the 19 Division 3A schools.
• Seniors selected to the ILMEA State Music Ensembles: Nora Brink Cello, All-State Honor Orchestra; James Go, Bass I, All -State Honors Chorus; Ben Mongirdas, Bass I, All -State Honors Chorus.
• Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards: Madeline Pace 'was a top 12 nominee for Best Actress in the Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards for her performance as Mae Tuck in Benet's Musical "Tuck Everlasting. "
• Seven Regional Champions and counting
• Five Sectional Champions and counting
• State Qualifiers: Four teams, 54 individuals
• Varsity Football: 4-3 overall record
• Varsity Volleyball: Tied for Regular Season Champions; Won the Post Season ESCC Tournament; Regional Champions
• Girls Tennis: Conference Champs, Sectional Champs qualifying for 2A State Meet
• Boys Soccer: Regional Champs; Sectional Finalist
• Boys Golf: Conference Champs, Player of the year, Jack DiTrana; Regional Champs; Jack DiTrana State Qualifier
• Girls Golf: Two State Qualifiers, Audrey Wake and Olivia Ruffalo
• Girls Swimming: Two State Qualifiers, Maura Fitzgerald 'and Imogen Duffy
• Cross Country Boys: Conference Champions; Regional Champs
• Cross Country Girls: Louisa Diamond, State Qualifier
• Avions: Competitive Dance Qualified for State
• Cheer: Competitive Cheer Finished in 8th place at State
• Boys Basketball: Conference Champs, Regional Champs
• Girls Basketball: Conference, Regional, Sectional and Supersectional Champs; 4th at State
• Boys Swimming: Jack Hansen, Jack Larson, Owen McGovern, Brendan Smith and Jacob Yuknis qualified for State
• Girls Track: Conference Champions; Sectional Champions Qualified 24 girls for State Meet; Girls Track Team members who finished in the top 10 at state meet: Louisa Diamon, 7th place in both the 1600 and 3200; Nicole Grimes 5th place in pole vault; and Valerie Sarros, 5th place High Jump.
• Girls Soccer: Conference Champions; Regional Champions;
• Boys Tennis: Conference Champions; Sectional Champions; Zach Bobofchak won Singles; In Doubles, two Benet teams squared off for the championship match with the team of John Yahiro and Patrick Burke prevailing over Noah Bobofchak and Andrew Donovan.
• Boys Track: Conference and Sectional Champions; Sectional Champions Aiden Dentice, Discus, and Jack Chvatal, High Jump. Other individual qualifiers include Jason Huang, 110 High Hurdles, and Griffin Schneid, 800 m. Members of Relays and Alternates: Michael Baker, Owen Takahashi, Chris Charter, Jeffrey Lange, Jonah Koplinski, Finn Richards, Charlie Phelan, Danny Keating, Carson Schneid, Daniel Pepping, Kyle Moede, Tommy Naughton, Brandin Saguil, Ethan Ayersman.
• Boys Lacrosse: #1 Seed in Naperville North Sectional
• Girls Lacrosse: Conference Champions; #1 Seed in Wheaton (St. Francis) Sectional
• Boys Volleyball: 7-1 in Conference Opening Round
• Baseball: #2 Seed in Kaneland Sectional
• Softball: #1 Seed in West Chicago Sectional
• One-Acts Showcase (September) -- Four student-directed one-act plays and a collection of scenes and songs performed by members of the Benet Theatre Association
• Fall Play (November) -- "Anti Social" by Don Zolidis
• Musical (March) -- "Tuck Everlasting" by Chris Miller, Claudia Shear, Tim Federle
• Theatre for Young Audiences (April) -- "The Monsters Under the Bed" -- Fr. Dominic Garramone, OSB
• Spring Play (May) -- "Container of Sharks" by Don Zolidis
What was new in 2021-2022: Continued expansion of the art program to include advanced courses in Ceramics and AutoCAD 3-D; Introduced executive functioning skills this year focusing on the freshmen but including the other classes too. The school offered professional development to all faculty with the opportunity for EF certification for faculty who completed the training; Expansion of the Redwing Academic Center (RAC). RAC is where students can get help with executive functioning skills and/or content help. The RAC is staffed each period during the school day with 1 or 2 teachers and peer tutors; Expansion of club offerings to include: Astronomy Club, Board Game Club, Life Skills Club, EmpowHer, Crochet Club, Italian Club, World Cultures Club.
Principal's reflection on the Class of 2022:
The Class of 2022 is one of the most spirited classes in Benet history. Their positive school spirit helped the school return to "normal" with sock-hops, all-school masses, choral and band concerts, homecoming and prom. Crowds at football, volleyball and basketball games reminded all of us why Benet is so special. The seniors' extra energy also made a difference in the larger community. Under their leadership, our annual fundraiser, the Christmas Drive, set a new school record, raising over $113,000 for different local, national and international charities.
-- Principal William Myers