Fine Line hosts sculpture exhibit through May 8
A new art exhibition at the Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles brings 25 artists together in one show. "Sculpture at the Kavanagh" is a collection of two- and three-dimensional pieces. The show is a mix of both Illinois and out-of-state artists.
One of the participating artists is Lee Ristow from Lemont, Illinois, who is showing in a gallery for the first time. Ristow has two ceramic pieces in the show, "Pachy Stack" and "Gorilla Mask." She found her love of ceramics later in life when she began taking art classes at her local community college.
She was encouraged to enter the show by another artist, Deana Badar Maloney, who also has work in this show. Badar Maloney has used her love of nature to create a sculpture entitled "Odysseus."
One of the most striking pieces is called "Her, Beauty Gained Her Everything She had ever Dreamt of…" by Michigan-based artist Matthew Schellenberg. This 7-foot warrior woman was carved using various woods, including Cherry, Black Walnut, Ash, and Cyprus. The use of multiple kinds of wood has enabled the artist to utilize nature's color palette effectively. The result is a stunning 3-dimensional statuesque woman, with a surprise element in the back.
The Kavanagh Gallery is open Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. "Sculpture at the Kavanagh" is open to the public until Saturday, May 8. As with all exhibitions in the Kavanagh Gallery, it is free to view.
Fine Line Creative Arts Center is at 37W570 Bolcum Road, just west of Randall Road, in St. Charles. For information, visit www.fineline.org or call (630) 584-9443.
The arts center supports artists and the larger community through instruction, exploration and exhibition of traditional and innovative arts and crafts, its mission enriched by a natural and inspirational setting.
Sculpture at KavanaughThe featured artists at Fine Line Creative Arts Center's exhibit include:
• From Illinois, Aodan, Deana Bada Maloney, Bradley Cahill, James Hajicek, James R. Harney, Julie Mars, Joe McIhany, Barry Newstat, Connie Orbeta, Darby Ortolano, Orion Richey, Lee Ristow, Howard Russo, Ian Shelly, and David Zahn;
• From Kansas, Kristine Luber
• From Michigan, Kate Hanley and Matthew Schellenberg
• From Minnesota, Susan Hensel and David Montague
• From Missouri, Natasha Hovey
• From North Dakota, Mary Bauer
• From Ohio, Fred Henman and Joyce Morrow Jones
• From Wisconsin, Nick Schroeder