Geneva Unit District 304 board to have 4 seats up for election
Geneva Unit District 304 will have four seats on the board of education that will be filled at the Consolidated General Election on April 6, 2021.
The Kane County Clerk's office supervises the school board elections, and their website will post the specific details about the election process in Kane County.
Candidates can begin circulating petitions, and the filing dates are Monday, Dec. 14 through Monday, Dec. 21.
A school board candidate's nominating petition must be filed with the Kane County Clerk's office, 719 Batavia Ave., Building B, Geneva, during this time.
Nominating papers may be filed by the candidate in person, by mail, or by an agent. Candidates' names will appear on the election ballot in the order in which their nominating papers are received, subject to the rules that apply to simultaneous filings and the ballot placement lottery.
This 2021 State of Illinois Candidate's Guide contains additional information about the process. Candidates are strongly encouraged to review this document and consult with legal counsel if they have any questions regarding procedures and documentation. To view the guide, visit www.kanecountyclerk.org. District 304 and the Kane County Clerk's Office are not permitted to give legal advice.
The following are key upcoming dates for candidates:
• Monday, Dec. 14: Candidate filing period begins.
• Monday, Dec. 21: Candidate filing period ends. Last day to file a Statement of Economic Interests; the receipt from the filing must be included with nominating petitions.
• Tuesday, Dec. 29: Last day to file objections to nominating petitions.
• Wednesday, Dec. 30: Last day for ballot placement lottery, held by the county clerk for the first and last spots on the ballot if multiple candidates' papers are filed simultaneously in the first and last hours of the filing period.
• Thursday, Jan. 28: Last day candidate may file Withdrawal of Candidacy in the office of the local election official, election authority, or the State Board of Elections.
• Thursday, Feb. 4: Last day to file a Declaration of Intent to be a writein candidate with the appropriate election authority or authorities.
The consolidated election will be Tuesday, April 6. Polls open 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For additional resources for candidates, visit www.geneva304.org/BoardElections.aspx.
Questions about the filing process can be directed to the Kane County Clerk. Other questions can be directed to the Geneva 304 Superintendent's office at (630) 463-3010.