8 concerts planned for summer at Independence Grove
Music lovers, dance lovers, outdoor lovers, get ready for award-winning performers playing under the stars at the annual Concerts in the Plaza music series. Eight concerts will be held at Independence Grove Forest Preserve in Libertyville, 7:30 pm Tuesdays, June 18 through August 6.
From Beatles to the blues, from rock and bluegrass to swing and jazz, there's something for just about any music taste in this season's entertainment lineup. This year's concerts are supported by North Shore Gas (Platinum sponsor), Blue Oak Financial Services (Gold sponsor) and Libertyville Bank and Trust, A Wintrust Community Bank (Bronze sponsor.)
- June 18: De Hurricane Reggae Band holds the Chicago Music Award for Best Reggae Entertainer in 2018. A true Caribbean vibe with reggae, soca, calypso, a little jazz and blues, and a taste of real island culture and sound.
- June 25: Rockin' Fenderskirts Put on your Blue Suede Shoes and Rock Around the Clock to your favorite rock 'n' roll oldies. You'll dance, you'll sing, you'll laugh. You'll get All Shook Up. Who knows, you might even Twist and Shout. They pay homage to the band that's the official soundtrack of generations of families.
- July 2: The Chicago Skyliners Big Band features Leslie Beukelman. Formed by Bill O'Connell in 1988, the jazz swing band's sole purpose is to prolong the musical memory of the big band era. A regular house band at FitzGerald's in Berwyn since 1991.
- July 9: Adam Erza Group This acoustic roots/rock band from Boston will again make a stop at Independence Grove. The group has been compared to the Dave Matthews Band. Lead singer Adam Ezra's passionate performances have been compared to Bruce Springsteen.
- July 16: Mississippi Heat Led by harmonica master and songwriter Pierre Lacocque, Mississippi Heat is a world-class Chicago blues band. Their motto is "Traditional Blues with a Unique Sound" as they present fresh yet vintage-based musical ideas.
- July 23: Kaleidoscope Eyes There's a reason why they're Chicago's best and most fun lovin' acoustic Beatles tribute band. They pay homage to the band that's the official soundtrack of generations of families.
- July 30: The North 41 Hailing from Illinois, this funk/rock band is one of Chicago's hottest up and coming groups. They have a big year ahead including a big festival performance at Summer Camp Music Festival.
- August 6: Rico Hypnotic blend of Afro-Cuban rhythms is heavily influenced by the sound and spirit of Santana. The band creates a fiery soulful sound through bass, congas, percussion, drums, timbales, keyboards, and guitar.
View full band descriptions and 2019 concert lineup at (lcfpd.org/ig/concerts/).
Entrance Fee and Concert Details
Entrance is $10 per car after 5 pm on event nights. For your safety, and as a courtesy to preserve neighbors, please park in the preserve only. Cars will be turned away when parking lots are full.
There is no rescheduling if a concert is canceled. For concert reminders, weather updates or to learn if a concert has been canceled, click here, follow us on Twitter.com/IndependenceGro or call 847-968-3499.
Concerts are open to all ages and are held at the preserve's outdoor amphitheater overlooking a 115-acre lake. Bring a blanket or lawn chair for seating. Arrive early to secure your spot.
Pack a picnic, or purchase a light dinner, snack or beverage from the preserve's walk-up café. The café serves a variety of entrees, snacks and beverages.
To make your concert outing even more memorable, call 847-968-3499 to reserve a pontoon boat for your group of up to eight.
If you are interested in learning about concert sponsorship opportunities, please contact the Preservation Foundation of the Lake County Forest Preserves at 847-968-3434.
Enjoy the Preserve
Before the evening concert begins, spend the afternoon at the preserve swimming, fishing, or boating on the 115-acre lake, or hiking, biking or in-line skating on nearly 7 miles of trails. Stop by the Visitors Center to explore educational exhibits and learn about rental space and visit the café.
Pets Not Permitted
With the exception of service animals, dogs, horses and other pets are not permitted at Independence Grove.
The entrance is located on Buckley Road (Route 137) just east of Milwaukee Avenue (Route 21) and west of River Road in Libertyville.