Prep Sports | Cross country: Hersey's Harden leads the way with repeat title at MSL meet
Hersey's Anna Harden crossed the finish line Saturday at Busse Woods and collapsed with what must have been a mix of fatigue, joy, and relief. The junior had just completed an outstanding accomplishment, winning the Mid-Suburban League individual girls cross-country championship for the second consecutive season.
Prep Football | Football / Top 20The top five teams in the Daily Herald football Top 20 all won on Friday night, with Neuqua Valley (8-0) still in the No. 1 spot.
Prep Football | Football / Top 20 / How they fared in Week 8The top five teams in the Daily Herald football Top 20 all won on Friday night, with Neuqua Valley (7-0) still in the No. 1 spot.
Prep Sports | Cross country: Batavia's Schlenker wins 3rd DuKane titleKatrina Schlenker knew she had strength for the final 300-meter push. The Batavia senior needed every bit of it against Glenbard North's Grace Schager, who came in holding Illinois' third-fastest 3-mile time this fall season. Schlenker, who entered Saturday with the 10th-fastest time, had just enough kick down the stretch to stave off the Panthers' junior to capture her third career individual DuKane Conference championship with a 17:16.3 finish on Saturday at Lake Park.
Prep Sports | Cross country: Burlington Central's Baig wins FVC titleIn the Fox Valley Conference boys race, Burlington Central's Yusuf Baig won in 15:25.35, 32 seconds ahead of Prairie Ridge's Will Gelon. Hampshire, led by fourth-place Aidan Gonzalez, took the team title with 59 points, three ahead of Jacobs. Cary-Grove's Ian Barnes took third and Crystal Lake Central's Danny Hamill was fifth.
Prep Football | Buffalo Grove runs to win; Meadows still alive in playoff huntThe running men paced their way to another win Friday in Buffalo Grove. The Bison (7-1, 3-1 Mid-Suburban East) piled up 282 rushing yards on their way to a 35-7 win over Wheeling in a game that Buffalo Grove did not break open until the fourth quarter.
Prep Sports | Girls tennis: Batavia battles for St. Charles East sectional crownBella Lins and Leah Puttin's first-place medals were just some of the hardware the Bulldogs took home from the St. Charles East sectional. Batavia also won the sectional team title.
Prep Sports | Girls tennis: Barrington nets title at JacobsFamiliarity sometimes works to your advantage. It sure worked for Barrington junior Emily Yoon at Saturday's Class 2A Jacobs sectional in Algonquin. Yoon defeated teammate Caitlin Kavanaugh 6-4, 6-2 to claim the singles championship.
Prep Football | Week 9 in Lake County will have interesting storylinesWith one week to go in the high school football regular season, the playoff picture in Lake County is starting to come into much better focus.
Prep Sports | Girls volleyball: Surprising Jacobs takes 2nd at Pumpkin tourneySenior setter Rachel Kaczorowski has been playing in the Maine West Pumpkin Tournament for her entire four-year career at Jacobs. Her final one on Saturday will be the one she nevers forgets, nor will the Golden Eagles. They made it all the way to the championship match of the tradition-rich girls volleyball invite before falling to powerful Lyons Township 25-12, 25-11 in the championship match.
Prep Sports | Girls tennis: Wang's singles win propels Stevenson to sectional titleFor the second time in a couple of weeks and the third time this season, the rematch between Sarah Wang of Stevenson and Autumn Rabjohns of Lake Forest took place in the Stevenson girls tennis sectional at the Vernon Hills Athletic Center in Vernon Hills on Saturday. This time around, Wang ot past Rabjohns 7-5, 6-2.
Prep Sports | Cross country: Waubonsie boys snap streak; Naperville North girls in a customary spotAngel Solis and Ethan Marshall felt perfectly at home on Saturday morning. "We have been dreaming about this moment," Solis said. When it comes to bragging rights in boys cross country on the Aurora-Naperville border, Neuqua Valley has a loud voice with its eight state trophies in program history. But Waubonsie Valley has designs on state hardware this fall as well.
- 2:15 AMAtlanta United FC hosts New York City FC, tries for 5th straight home win
- 2:15 AMColorado Rapids and the Seattle Sounders take the field
- 2:15 AMInter Miami CF looks to end 6-game skid with victory over Toronto FC
- 2:15 AMColumbus takes on Nashville SC after Zardes' 2-goals game
- 2:15 AMPortland hosts Vancouver, tries to continue 3-game home win streak
More Prep Sports
- Prep SportsCross country: Hinsdale Central boys, York girls win WSC Silver titles
- Prep SportsGirls tennis: Lake Zurich freshman Boianov nets sectional championship
- Prep SportsGirls tennis: Grayslake Central's Bhalla battles to sectional singles crown
- Prep SportsGirls swimming: Metea Valley takes 2nd at own invite
- Prep SportsCross country: Grayslake Central, Grant's Negovetich excel at NLCC meet
- Prep FootballGrayslake Central punches its playoff ticket by beating Lakes
- Prep FootballA historic night for Wauconda
- Prep FootballBarrington stays alive for playoff berth, eliminates Conant
- Prep FootballGlenbard West gets it together against Lyons Twp.
- Prep FootballCyr's big night helps Hoffman Estates clinch automatic playoff berth share of MSL West title
- Prep FootballBatavia steamrolls St. Charles East
- Prep FootballFilosa returns York to winning ways against Willowbrook
- Prep FootballSouth Elgin shuts out Bartlett
- Prep FootballBig second half powers Maine South to CSL South win
- Prep FootballNaperville North gains eligibility for state playoffs with victory vs. Waubonsie Valley
Inside Prep Sports