Sports | Why Cubs felt it was right time to deal team's biggest stars
In the case of the Cubs, there was no other option but to trade revered stars Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez and Craig Kimbrel from a cratering fourth-place team to playoff contenders filled with raw young players a few years away from reaching the majors.
Latest Sports Videos
Bulls | Clock is ticking, Bulls need some bold movesThe NBA's free-agent negotiating period begins Monday. There are plenty of potential paths for the Bulls, including creating some cap space and pursuing a third star to go with Zach LaVine and Nikola Vucevic.
Columns | Arkush: Do the Bears have the fastest wide receiver corps in the NFL?With their speed, the Bears wide receiving corps will definitely scare every defense they see this season. How many they beat will depend on how much more complete these undersized blazers can become.
Sports | How local Olympians fared: Geneva's McDowell takes silver in triathlon mixed relayIn the very first Olympic triathlon mixed relay, the Americans, led by Kevin McDowell of Geneva, finished in second place for the silver medal.
Columns | Lincicome: The Cubs are right back where they belongCharacterizing the dissolution of the Cubs as the "end of an era" is generous and laced with irony. One World Series victory is a highlight, not an era, and playoff failures since are reminders of what could have been, what should have been.
News | Suburbanites in Olympic volleyball, track: Who'll be on TV on SaturdayHere is the Olympic TV schedule for Saturday for events that feature suburban athletes.
Cubs | Who are these guys? Here's a long list of the new CubsWhile sending away most of the team's most recognizable stars, the Cubs added 11 news players via trade this week. Here's a rundown of the new Cubs.
Special Report | Arlington Park doesn't apply for 2022 race datesArlington Park and its corporate owner Churchill Downs Inc. didn't apply for 2022 live horse racing dates by a Friday state deadline, dashing distant hopes of owners, trainers and fans that the iconic racetrack might return for a last lap.
Bears | Top 25 most important Bears in 2021: Dalton will start as long as his play allows itAndy Dalton signed a one-year contract with the Bears in March with the expectation that he will be the starting quarterback. That is the case, for now. How long that will remain the case is anybody's guess.
Bears | Musings from Bears practice: Mustipher bulks up, defense dominatesEven though training camp is here, bulked-up offensive lineman Sam Mustipher isn't looking at his body as a finished product. He knows there's still several weeks before Week 1, during which he can continue to develop muscle.
Sports | 'I feel so terrible': Djokovic's Golden Slam bid is overThere will be no Golden Slam for Novak Djokovic
Pro Sports | Alyssa Naeher is a steadying force in goal for the USU.S. goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher has come up big at the Olympics in the tensest of moments
- 5:55 PMRavens agree to 1-year deal with LB Justin Houston
- 5:29 PMNot Federer, not Wawrinka: Bencic gets gold for Switzerland
- 5:07 PMWashington All-Pro guard Brandon Scherff in virus protocol
- 4:13 PMTitans' Brown eager to form 1-2 WR punch with Julio Jones
- 4:11 PMSaints arms race: Winston vs Hill in bid to succeed Brees
- Girls' BasketballHare transfers from Bartlett to Naperville North
- St. CharlesAn All-American year: St. Charles North's Sinnaeve overcomes obstacles, earns national honor
- Boys' BasketballBuffalo Grove's Craft chooses Xavier
- Prep SportsOlympic bound: Former Prospect, Illini track star Kendziera going to Tokyo
- Prep SportsSt. Viator names DeLeon as new boys soccer coach
- Prep FootballThey want you: Need a job? Youth, prep sports desperately need referees
- Prep FootballMetea Valley's 2-sport standout Johnson excited about future at NIU
- Girls' BasketballBurlington Central's Charles picks Princeton
- Girls' BasketballBatavia grad Fruendt joins staff at Tennessee
- Prep SportsOff at college: Wheeling's Blair honored for excellence on and off the track
- Prep SportsOff at college: Benet grad Abello earns Academic All-American of the Year
- Boys' BasketballBurlington Central grad Mayfield makes move to Division I basketball
- Prep SportsOff at college: Illinois Wesleyan's Morton earns golf All-America honors
- Prep SportsBaseball: St. Charles North's DeMarco wins Illinois Gatorade player of the year
- PalatinePalatine's Bostick decides on Iowa
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Bobby Hull, Peter O'Toole, Ted Nugent, aerobics classes for kids and more