Blackhawks begin season against defending champion Avalanche
Welcome to your first season as an NHL head coach, Luke Richardson.
Your first game? Oct. 12 at the defending champion Colorado Avalanche.
That's how the Blackhawks will start the 2022-23 campaign, followed by games Oct. 13 at Vegas and Oct. 15 at San Jose.
The Hawks return to the United Center for a four-game homestand, beginning Oct. 21 with Detroit.
The NHL released next season's 82-game schedule Wednesday afternoon. It includes the All-Star Game, which will be Feb. 4 in Sunrise, Fla.
The Hawks' season ends with an April 13 home game against the Flyers.
Some other highlights from the schedule:
• The Hawks have a 1 p.m. home game Oct. 23 against Seattle.
• Connor McDavid's Oilers visit the United Center Oct. 27 and Nov. 30.
• Rival St. Louis plays Nov. 16 and March 30 at the UC.
• The Hawks host San Jose on New Year's Day at 6 p.m. (This also begins a season-long seven-game homestand that runs through Jan. 17. The Hawks host Tampa Bay, Arizona, Calgary, Colorado, Seattle and Buffalo).
• The longest road trip is a five-gamer March 16 to 25. The Hawks also have three of four on the road before that.