George Floyd's death an American tragedy with global echoes
Since George Floyd's death in Minnesota last week, his face has been painted on walls from Nairobi, Kenya to Idlib, Syria
Chief struggles to change Minneapolis police cultureWhen Medaria Arradondo was tapped to lead the Minneapolis Police Department in 2017, he faced a public newly outraged by the fatal police shooting of a woman who had called 911 and still carrying deep mistrust from the killing of a black man two years earlier.
Trump hails jobs report, but unemployment rate still highPresident Donald Trump took a victory lap Friday morning after the government reported surprising job gains for last month, seizing on the data to predict that the worst of the coronavirus pandemic and its economic disruption was in the rear-view mirror.
Unemployment rate falls to 13.3%, U.S. adds 2.5 million jobsThe U.S. unemployment rate fell to 13.3% in May from 14.7%, and 2.5 million jobs were added -- a surprisingly positive reading in the midst of a recession that has paralyzed the economy in the wake of the viral pandemic.
On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in NormandyForgotten they will never be. Revered, yes. But Saturday's anniversary will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping almost everyone away -- from government leaders to frail veterans who might not get another chance for a final farewell to their unlucky comrades.
Germany investigating McCann suspect in another caseGerman prosecutors have opened an investigation into whether a 43-year-old who has emerged as a possible suspect in the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann in Portugal may have been involved in a similar crime in Germany
Lives Lost: Twins were gentle giants in small Vermont townThe tiny Vermont town of Wilmington was largely spared from the impact of coronavirus until April, when Cleon Boyd, a lifelong resident who embodied the town's toughness and traditions, died
Police try to stop Floyd rally in Sydney due to virus fearsPolice challenged whether a Black Lives Matter protest planned for Saturday in Australia's largest city is too much of a virus risk, as demonstrators in the capital reminded the country that racial inequality is not a U.S. issue alone
Police: Parents, 4 kids found dead in garage in San AntonioAuthorities in Texas say they found a family of six dead, including four children, in the back of an SUV in a garage
Raw feelings abound as Senate turns back to Russia probeTwo GOP-led Senate committees are launching election-year investigations into the Justice Department's Russia probe
Surgical or homemade, masks mark a major shift in thinkingBefore the coronavirus outbreak abruptly disrupted the livelihoods of millions of people, the sight of masks worn in public spaces in the Western world conjured up images of malevolent clowns and terrifying fictional villains
Trump heads to rural Maine but won't escape demonstratorsPresident Donald Trump is traveling to Maine to visit a company that makes specialized swabs for coronavirus testing
- 12:29 PMMinneapolis to ban police chokeholds in wake of Floyd death
- 12:27 PMDemonstrators vow to sustain momentum until change happens
- 12:24 PMMaine West High School
- 11:55 AMThe Latest: US cardinal says blacks not treated fairly
- 11:54 AM4 Indianapolis officers reassigned during baton use probe
- 11:46 AMIN-Winners
- 11:34 AMMalaria drug didn't help virus patients, big UK study finds
More Suburban News
- PalatineChanting, sign-holding crowd lines Quentin Road to protest in Palatine
- Mount ProspectSubmarine Express, an icon of downtown Mount Prospect, moving out to make way for bank
- AuroraAurora man pleads guilty to 'Henry Pratt' threat against housing authority
- Kane CountyKane County says deputy shot aggressive pit bull
- ElginPeaceful march from ECC to Elgin Police Department
- BensenvilleEPA tells Bensenville pesticide company to stop COVID-19 claims
- BataviaSUV hits teenage boy in Batavia
- SchaumburgKuma's Corner closes restaurants temporarily
- NewsHundreds protesting in Arlington Heights: We need to 'protect our neighbors of color'
- Buffalo GroveStudents in Buffalo Grove: 'When people in the suburbs ... can work together, then real change can be made'
- Kane CountyKane County officials debate as they're pressed to pass on federal relief funds
- Vernon HillsProtest in Vernon Hills: 'We must be the start of the cure'
- Lake CountyShould Lake County eliminate the recorder's office? Voters could decide
- LindenhurstCurbside pickup of library materials in Lindenhurst
- NewsOrganizers buy bus tickets for seniors after rates increase