Man 'severely burned' trying to extinguish grease fire inside Aurora apartment
An Aurora man is in critical condition after trying to extinguish a grease fire inside an apartment Monday afternoon.
Aurora Fire Department officials said firefighters were called to the three-story apartment building on the 4000 block of Chesapeake Drive just after noon.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the fire had been extinguished but a resident was "severely burned." The 37-year-old man was taken to a nearby trauma center for treatment.
Damage to the apartment was minimal, and the residence was deemed habitable.
Aurora fire officials noted this is the second time in a week that they have treated someone who attempted to extinguish a fire inside a home and was severely injured in the process.
On June 30, a 64-year-old man was severely burned and airlifted to a trauma center in critical condition after he unsuccessfully attempted to extinguish a blaze in a six-unit, two-story townhouse complex.
Multiple units were damaged in the fire that displaced at least six other residents of the complex.