Graduates in the Class of 2021: 31
Class Officers: Christopher Kademoglou, student council president; Samuel Basa, athletics council president.
Graduation Speaker: National Public Radio correspondent Leila Fadel was the speaker at Elgin Academy's 165th Commencement Ceremony on June 5. Fadel is a Lebanese American journalist whose coverage of the situation in the Middle East for both NPR and The Washington Post has garnered her several prestigious awards in her field.
Academic achievements: Five Illinois State Scholars, three AP Scholars with Distinction, six AP Scholars
• Boys' Golf IHSA Sectional Team Champion
• "Bad Auditions ... on Camera" by Ian McWethy and Carrie McCrossen
What were the most significant challenges faced by the Class of 2021 and how did they overcome them?
The Class of 2021 successfully navigated online learning in Spring 2020 followed by a mix of mainly in-person with some mixed hybrid and online learning throughout 2020-2021. They adapted to limited athletic and co-curricular opportunities with a positive mindset. As athletics returned in the latter part of the year, we have seen a larger number of seniors taking one final opportunity to play for an EA team.
What traditional events were adapted for the pandemic and how?
• School play rehearsals were all virtual. Costumes/props used were found in the student's own home. Performance was live over Zoom.
• Prom was held as a dinner-only event at Pinstripes in South Barrington.
• Commencement was held fully in person with additional distancing on the school quad.
Principal's reflections on the Class of 2021:
Our Class of 2021 were leaders on our campus who set the right example for younger students on how to navigate this year with grace. They successfully completed our strong academic program while taking advantage of any athletic and co-curricular opportunities that became available. They all had successful college processes and are ready for success in universities across the nation.