A dozen candidates file in Dist. 220, nine in Dist. 211
After the initial rush to file for office last week, the field of candidates for school districts throughout Cook County grew even larger, fueled by widespread debate about how to approach the COVID-19 pandemic.
A whopping 12 candidates filed to run for four open board positions in Barrington Unit District 220, and nine candidates did so for three open spots in Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211. Monday was the last day to file nominating papers with the Cook County clerk's office.
Throughout the fall, District 220 had especially intense conversations regarding when to reopen for in-person learning, with vocal complaints from some parents. "I think there's certainly been a heightened sense of interest, and that may have supported more people to run," said Board President Penny Kazmier, who is not running for reelection after 16 years on the board. "My hope is that the people running for office aren't running on a single issue."
Here are the candidates running in the major school districts in Cook County.
• Barrington Unit District 220: Incumbent Sandra Ficke-Bradford and Michael Shackleton and newcomers Lauren Berkowitz Klauer, Erin Chan Ding, William Betz, Alex Michael Strobl, Jonathan Matta, Katie Karam, Thomas J. Mitoraj, Steve Wang, Malgorzata McGonigal and Robert Windon for four open positions.
• Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211: Incumbent Anna Klimkowicz and newcomers Curtis Bradley, Robi Vollkommer, Kristen Steel, Jessica Hinkle, Denise Wilson, Roxanne Wittkamp, Amy K. Nelson and Timothy McGowan for three positions.
• Palatine Township Elementary District 15: incumbents Lisa Szczupaj, Frank Annerino and Anthony M. Wang and newcomer James Taylor for four positions.
• Wheeling Township Elementary District 21: Incumbents Phil Pritzker, Debra McAtee, Bill Harrison and Arlen Gould for four positions.
• Arlington Heights Elementary District 25: Incumbents Rich Olejniczak, Anisha Patel and Gina Faso and newcomers Katie Rausch, Todd Witherow, Melisa Andrews, Greg Scapillato and Deborah Tranter for four positions.
• Schaumburg Township Elementary District 54: Incumbents Jim Pye, Nicholas Scipione and Kenneth Van Dyke and newcomer Debbie Schmidt for four positions.
• Elk Grove Township Elementary District 59: Incumbents Janice Krinsky, Mardell Schumacher and Roberto Mancilla and newcomers Joseph Sagerer and Daisy Espino for four positions.
• Northwest Suburban High School District 214: Incumbents Mark Hineman, Mildred "Millie" Palmer and Leonard "Lenny" Walker and newcomers Andrea Rauch, Elizabeth Bauer, Tony Rosselli, Richard Menninga and Jacqueline Ryan for four positions.