Two DCFS workers overseeing "AJ" Freund case removed from casework

  • Andrew "AJ" Freund

    Andrew "AJ" Freund

 
 
Updated 4/26/2019 6:43 PM

The head of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said Friday two workers who oversaw a case involving Andrew "AJ" Freund -- the 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy who prosecutors say was killed by his parents -- have been removed from casework.

Before presenting DCFS' budget for fiscal year 2020 at a legislative hearing in Chicago, the agency's acting director, Marc D. Smith, said the agency is conducting a thorough review of what happened before the boy's body was found earlier this week.

 

"The news of his death is heartbreaking and all of us feel this loss," Smith told lawmakers. "The death of a child that was in our care and a family that we were involved with is unacceptable to me and this department. DCFS is currently conducting a comprehensive review of our work with AJ's family."

Smith said the caseworker and supervisor who had been monitoring AJ and his parents, Andrew Freund Sr. and JoAnn Cunningham, "have been placed on administrative duty and will have no casework responsibility as this review takes place. DCFS will also be reviewing all cases that have been handled by these two employees."

See the full report by the Chicago Sun-Times at chicago.suntimes.com.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments
Attention: We are experiencing technical difficulties with our Facebook Comments module at this time. Comments will remain disabled until we are able to resolve the problem. We apologize for the interruption. We invite you to engage with our content and talk with other commenters on our Daily Herald Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DailyHeraldFans/. Thank you.