House fire blamed on candle displaces Cary family

 
Updated 4/14/2019 5:22 PM
hello

A family of four was displaced after fire engulfed a Cary home Saturday evening.

The Cary Fire Protection District was called to the 0-100 block of Margaret Terrace shortly after 5 p.m. Crews arrived to find light smoke emerging from the front of the house and a fire raging in an upstairs bedroom.

The family, which included two children, had already left the house.

Firefighters stretched a hose line and quickly had the fire under control.

The house sustained fire and smoke damage throughout. No damage estimate was available.

There were no injuries.

The fire was determined to be accidental, caused by a candle in the house. Firefighters said the bedroom door had been left open, causing the fire to spread into the hallway. A door to the house was also open, allowing fresh oxygen to feed the fire.

The building was ruled uninhabitable. The American Red Cross assisted the family.

Units from the Algonquin, River Grove and Nunda Rural districts also provided support.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.