Crystal Lake police investigate ATM skimming at Home State Bank
Several Home State Bank ATMs have been tampered with by thieves using electronic skimming devices, Crystal Lake police announced Saturday.
The devices unlawfully record account user information. The bank reported that several customers' accounts had been compromised within the last 30 days.
Police urge all people who used a Home State Bank ATM to check their accounts for unauthorized activity. If there is any, report it to the bank and to the police department, (815) 356-3620.
People who have information about the crime can send an anonymous tip by texting the word CLPDTIP and the information to 847411.
Home State Bank's website lists six ATM sites in Crystal Lake.
The FBI offers tips on avoiding being skimmed at ATMs, gasoline pumps and stores:
• Inspect the machine and reader before using it. Don't use it if anything is loose, crooked or damaged, or if you see scratches or residue from an adhesive or tape.
• When entering your PIN, block the keyboard with your other hand to prevent hidden cameras from recording your number.
• If possible, use an ATM at an inside location.
• Be especially careful at ATMs in tourist areas.
• If your card is not returned after the transaction, or after hitting "cancel," contact the card-issuing financial institution immediately.