Schaumburg Home Depot donates carbon monoxide detectors to Bartlett Fire District

  • Staff of The Home Depot in Schaumburg present carbon monoxide detectors to the Bartlett Fire Protection District made available through a $5,000 grant from the company. From left to right are Brian Dworski of The Home Depot Pro Desk, Assistant Manager Hector Garcia, Assistant Manager LeShawn McReynolds, Bartlett Fire Chief William Gabrenya and Rick Hirschberg of The Home Depot Pro Desk.

    Staff of The Home Depot in Schaumburg present carbon monoxide detectors to the Bartlett Fire Protection District made available through a $5,000 grant from the company. From left to right are Brian Dworski of The Home Depot Pro Desk, Assistant Manager Hector Garcia, Assistant Manager LeShawn McReynolds, Bartlett Fire Chief William Gabrenya and Rick Hirschberg of The Home Depot Pro Desk. Courtesy of Janice Gumprecht

 
 
Posted3/11/2022 6:00 AM

Staff of The Home Depot at Barrington and Schaumburg roads in Schaumburg recently presented Bartlett Fire Chief William Gabrenya with more than 275 Kidde FireX carbon monoxide detectors to distribute to residents of his fire protection district through a $5,000 grant from the retailer.

The devices are hoped to soon find their way into Bartlett homes that don't already have a carbon monoxide detector.

 

Those in need of one for themselves or loved ones can visit Bartlett Fire Protection District Station 1 at 234 N. Oak Ave. in Bartlett between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to request a free CO detector.

Bartlett Fire District officials said that at least 430 people per year die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, while about 50,000 more visit the emergency room each year from the same cause.

There are several ways residents can protect themselves:

• Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

• Install a battery-operated or battery-backup CO detector on each level of the home. Check or replace the batteries when they are low.

• If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

• Seek prompt medical help if you suspect CO poisoning and feel dizzy, lightheaded, or nauseated.

Bartlett Fire officials said carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable. You can protect yourself and your family by learning the symptoms of CO poisoning and how to prevent it by visiting bartlettfire.com/204/Carbon-Monoxide-Detectors.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.