Dining bites: Restaurants think pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and here's how some restaurants are supporting the cause:
• Beatrix: The bakery at Beatrix will be baking up specialty Pink Ribbon Cookies during October at its locations in Oak Brook, River North, Streeterville and Fulton Market. One dollar from each cookie sold will be donated to The Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Foundation's Chicago's In Good Taste campaign, which supports breast cancer research. Beatrix is at 272 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, (630) 491-1415, beatrixrestaurants.com/beatrix/oak-brook/.
• M Burger: Order up a strawberry shake during October and $1 will be donated to The Pink Agenda, which supports breast cancer awareness, care and research. M Burger is at 1650 Premium Outlet Blvd., Aurora, mburgerchicago.com/.
• Roka Akor: For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Japanese steakhouse and sushi restaurant is partnering with Distinguished Vineyards to donate $3 from each glass and $20 from each bottle of Argyle Brut Rosé sold in October to Editha House, which provides affordable places to stay for adult cancer patients who need to travel for treatment. Plus, for each hamachi serran chili roll (made with yellowtail, avocado, cucumber and wasabi aiolo) ordered during October, the restaurant will donate $3 to Editha House. Roka Akor is at 166 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, (630) 634-7652; 4999 Old Orchard Shopping Center, Skokie, (847) 329-7650; and 456 N. Clark St., Chicago, (312) 477-7652, rokaakor.com/.
Burrata truffle gnocchi is Antico Posto's pasta special the week of Sept. 30-Oct. 6.
- Courtesy of Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises
National Pasta Month
Pasta fans will love this: October is National Pasta Month. Here's what some restaurants are offering:
• Antico Posto: Come hungry as the homemade pasta special the week of Sept. 30-Oct. 6 is burrata truffle gnocchi for $19.95. Then, it's lasagnette Bolognese made with slow-cooked meat sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan and fresh basil for $19.95 from Oct. 7-13. Dine on butternut squash ravioli in a brown butter sauce with roasted butternut squash and candied walnuts for $19.95 from Oct. 14-20. The specials, which are available for dine-in, delivery and carryout, finish with pappardelle with sausage for $19.95 the week of Oct. 21-27. Antico Posto is at 118 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, (630) 586-9200, antico-posto.com/.
• Saranello's: Take advantage of weekly dine-in specials on made-in-house pasta in October devised by Chef Partner Mychael Bonner. First up, from Friday through Thursday, Oct. 1-7, is pumpkin ravioli with brown butter, sage and Italian sausage for $18.95. Next up, from Oct. 8-14, is linguine vongole with white wine, garlic, Manila clams, fresh herbs and chile for $23.95. The third week, Oct. 15-21, patrons can dine on herb pappardelle with Bolognese for $18.95, while the final week, Oct. 22-31, offers lobster tortellini with brandy cream for $24.95. Reservations are recommended. Saranello's is at 601 N. Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling, (847) 777-6878, saranellos.com/.
Herb pappardelle with Bolognese is the weekly special Oct. 15-21 at Saranello's in Wheeling.
- Courtesy of Christina Slaton
Houlihan's brings on fall flavors with new seasonal items available for a limited time. Consider the giant cheesy tots with housemade dippers ($8.95), triple decker grilled cheese ($12.50), Creole chicken fried chicken with garlic green beans and honest gold mashers ($16.95), butternut squash and sausage pasta ($14.95), and cran-apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream ($6.59) for dessert. As for drinks, new to the menu are Truly lemonade ($5), Guinness Nitro Cold Brew Coffee ($7 a can) and Golden Road Mango Cart Mango Ale ($6 a can).
Houlihan's is at 2860 Showplace Drive, Naperville, (630) 536-0022, houlihans.com/.
Change things up
Speaking of new flavors for fall, Pinstripes recently introduced a bevy of seasonal items. Options include burrata and acorn squash; meatball and provolone sandwich; open-faced grilled salmon served on a focaccia with cucumber-dill yogurt; spicy crispy chicken sandwich; cowboy burger topped with applewood smoked bacon, balsamic barbecue, onion rings, jalapeño and cheddar; blueberry waffles with whipped lemon ricotta; American scramble made with applewood smoked bacon, sharp cheddar, crispy potatoes and toast; and steak and eggs. For a treat, try the classic tiramisu or caramelized cheesecake.
Pinstripes is at 7 Oakbrook Center Mall, Oak Brook, (630) 575-8700; 1150 Willow Road, Northbrook, (847) 480-2323; 100 W. Higgins Road, South Barrington, (847) 844-9300; pinstripes.com/.
• Events are subject to change. Send restaurant news to email@example.com.