Analysis: A recession will come. How bad will it be?
How bad will the next recession be? Prognostications vary, and we don't have great data on future events. But we've got plenty on what happened in the past, and we can look there for clues.
New law bans salary questions in job interviews. What to say if you're asked anyway.Experts say job candidates should answer with a little deflection -- and a lot of tact.
Analysis: What is an 'inverted yield curve,' and why does it matter?Investors are spooked by a scenario known as the "inverted yield curve," which occurs when the interest rates on short-term bonds are higher than the interest rates paid by long-term bonds. What it means is that people are so worried about the near-term future that they are piling into safer long-term investments.
Analysis: The white-male mentorship premiumNew research by salary website PayScale found that employees who have a white male advocate often end up with higher pay, and most of those employees are white men.
U.S. businesses are taking down job listings as Trump's trade war growsPresident Donald Trump's escalating trade war has made business executives more cautious.
Analysis: The solution to saving U.S. automakers isn't tariffs, it's empowering workersInstead of bringing back auto jobs, the auto industry has cut more of its U.S. workforce during the Trump presidency, with Ford Motor and General Motors recently announcing plant closings and layoffs.
Wife moved for husband's exciting career, but her own new job is uninspiringHow much time do you have to give a job before deciding it won't get better and bailing?
AI and bionic eyes are helping to contain raging wildfiresOn a tower in the Brazilian rainforest, a sentinel scans the horizon for the first signs of fire. Only these eyes aren't human.
Naperville set to review details of recreational marijuana sales banNaperville leaders are ready to review an ordinance to prohibit sales of recreational marijuana after the city council last month took an early vote toward approval of a ban.
Fortnite World Cup audience shows fan base isn't just young menNew numbers that show the Fortnite World Cup's U.S. audience was older and more female than might be expected. It also was as big a draw as traditional sports.
Google employees demand company renounce working with Trump immigration agenciesGoogle's challenges are mounting from within as employees call on the company to promise it won't do business with the Trump administration's immigration apparatus.
Opportunity Zones: More than traditional real estate developmentSince Opportunity Zones were first authorized in December 2017 as part of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act, there has been significant discussion about how to best utilize these opportunities and obtain the resulting tax benefi
"The importance of being HR": An employment attorney's perspectiveWhile many corporate leaders are enlightened and recognize HR's value, the "profit contribution" perspective still plagues many HR professionals.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- NapervilleNaperville set to review details of recreational marijuana sales ban
- Elk Grove VillageTwo new hotels planned where old one demolished in Elk Grove
- MundeleinStores and restaurants could replace old village hall in Mundelein
- BloomingdalePlans scrapped for houses at former golf course in Bloomingdale
- NewsArlington Heights to welcome 18 new affordable supportive housing units
- LombardNicor career academy gives grads 'peace of mind and stability'
- NapervilleNaperville could ban sales of 'drug of concern' kratom
- GurneeData from ethylene oxide air testing in Gurnee, Waukegan sent for analysis
- NapervilleNational Guard, DeVry offer scholarship program
- SchaumburgSierra store to open Saturday in Schaumburg
- SchaumburgOfficials: 2 cases of Legionnaires' diseases linked to Schaumburg hotel
- Long GroveShoppers hunt 'haggle-able' finds at Long Grove Vintage Days
- Girls' BasketballO'Donnell: 'State' high -- Melissa Isaacson's new book bounding toward national radar
- St. CharlesIs a 3-unit townhouse building appropriate for a St. Charles neighborhood?
- BusinessAnixter opens new facility in California
Through the Film Magnifier: Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie Howard, Belly Dancing, Pony Paper Delivery and more