Review: Real potential in foldable screen on Lenovo laptop
The folding laptop is trying to do just one thing: make a laptop less awkward to carry around. But can it hold up in real-world use?
How saving and sensible investing can pay for a long, active, comfortable retirementThe key to former newspaperman Gordon Eliot White's comfortable life in his ninth decade is his abiding belief in living beneath your means and saving.
More CEOs were forced out for ethical lapses in 2018 than poor financial performanceThirty-nine percent of the 89 forced CEO departures in 2018 were due to ethical misconduct, which the study defines as the removal of a CEO following a scandal or improper conduct; examples include fraud, bribery, insider trading, environmental disasters, inflated resumes or sexual indiscretions.
#MeToo backlash? More male managers avoid mentoring women or meeting alone with them, survey says.The problem with this knee-jerk fear, of course, is that to get promoted, younger employees need the kind of informal face time and one-on-one interactions that build trust and develop relationships, giving senior-level managers the confidence to take a risk on promoting them.
Constable: New charity gives Des Plaines mom the furniture she needsA mom with two kids was facing eviction when she found an apartment in Des Plaines, thanks to Open Communities. A new charity called the Chicago Furniture Bank, with help from Walter E. Smithe, gives her the furniture she needs.
Which wireless earbuds are best for headbanging? Sammy Hagar puts three to the testSure, sound quality, price and call quality matter for headphones. But not if the darn things won't stay in your ears as you bounce through life. See how Apple's AirPods 2, the new Beats Powerbeats Pro and the Bose SoundSport Free hold up to the rocker test.
Tech Help Desk: How to maximize laptop battery life; what to do if your device is buggedTech columnist Geoffrey A. Fowler tackles two important problems: making our gadgets last longer, and keeping prying eyes out of our devices.
How much money do you need to be wealthy in America?Rich is relative. Merely having a net worth of $1 million, it seems, doesn't mean you're wealthy.
Analysis: What Apple's Supreme Court loss could mean for Silicon ValleyThe ruling, in which conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's four liberal justices, could open the door for actions against other companies such as Amazon, Google and Microsoft.
San Francisco becomes first city in US to ban facial-recognition softwareThe vote will forbid public agencies from using the artificial-intelligence software to find the identity of someone based on a video clip or photograph.
Google makes new push to bolster travel-related searchesGoogle wants to be a go-to destination in the online travel world like Expedia, Priceline and TripAdvisor.
The 2020 election and U.S. immigrationThere's little doubt that U.S. immigration policy will be a central theme of the 2020 Presidential election. While illegal immigration continues to grab headlines, it's the too often overlooked legal immigration system that also provides virtually unlimited opportunities for improvement.
Why I should consider a search fund when selling my businessSmall businesses are experiencing a period of unprecedented transition. Baby boomers make up more than 50% of today's business owners. Many are approaching retirement without a firm succession plan in place.
State and local tax: Why are resale certificates are important for your businessResale certificates are a very important part of the state and local sales tax process. Not having the correct certificates on file can land your business in hot water.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Des PlainesConstable: New charity gives Des Plaines mom the furniture she needs
- BusinessMark Cuban shares business life lessons, talks politics with crowd at Judson
- Rolling MeadowsNic's Organic Fast Food closes in Rolling Meadows, Woodfield Mall
- NapervilleNaperville father-son team creating app for selling, trading toys
- BusinessSkender breaks ground on senior living facility
- Elk Grove VillageCops and Crime: One in four people who buy online gets counterfeits
- MettawaBrunswick to acquire Freedom Boat Club
- SchaumburgSchaumburg Boomers introduce new dining, drinking venues
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village considering condemnation of Motel 6, auto shop and restaurant
- Wood DalePower Solutions International founder to retire
- BusinessTexas storms push Allstate April catastrophe losses to $290 million
- St. CharlesLee & Associates brokers two sales
- ItascaDiscovery Health acquires HealthMind
- GrayslakeCold, wet spring has farmers weeks behind schedule on planting
- Oak Brook5 Effective steps for creating a solid budget