Amazon is working on a device to read human emotions
Amazon.com Inc. is developing a voice-activated wearable device that can recognize human emotions.
Both Democrats, Republicans blast facial-recognition technology in a rare bipartisan momentWASHINGTON -- Facial-recognition technology endured fierce resistance in Washington on Wednesday as both Democratic and Republican lawmakers criticized the artificial-intelligence software as a danger to Americans' privacy and civil rights. At a time when most issues in Washington generate a starkly partisan divide, members of the House Oversight and Reform Committee were startlingly bipartisan in their condemnation of the technology, which federal and local law-enforcement agencies already are using across the country to identify suspects caught on camera.
Huawei has tiny presence in US, huge global footprintHuawei is at the center of an international trade dispute with the Trump administration. But most Americans have never even heard of it. So, what is Huawei, and why does the president care so much?
Consumer Reports: Tesla's automatic lane-changing feature is 'far less competent' than a human driverWhen Consumer Reports tested the feature, drivers raised concerns that it doesn't help - but could hurt.
Ford's way to finish driverless deliveries: Package-carrying robotsAutonomous vehicles will need a human-free way to get things to your doorstep.
Will U.S.-China trade war help end China's dependency on Western tech?Banning exports to Huawei could spur China to develop items it now buys in the West.
Warren, Ocasio-Cortez demand answers on Sears bankruptcy from MnuchinSen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., are calling on U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to be more transparent about his time on Sears's board as the retailer plunged into bankruptcy. They also take issue with his possible oversight of the company's pension plans.
A 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope soFor years, the corridor along Oakton and Lee streets in Des Plaines has struggled. A proposed TIF district could change that, officials say.
Des Plaines approves "hotel-style" senior living community downtownDes Plaines has approved plans for a $30 million "hotel-style" senior living community downtown.
Brewers say higher beer tax would be hard to swallowCraft beer brewers and advocates gathered Friday at the Capitol to oppose a tax increase on beer and cider that Gov. J.B. Pritzker introduced last week to help fund a comprehensive capital infrastructure plan.
Elgin founder of suburban group of McDonald's franchises remembered as a kind businessmanThe Elgin founder of a large group of McDonald's franchise restaurants in the suburbs was remembered as a kind family man and businessman always committed to contributing to the community.
The 2020 election and U.S. immigrationThere's little doubt that U.S. immigration policy will be a central theme of the 2020 Presidential election. While illegal immigration continues to grab headlines, it's the too often overlooked legal immigration system that also provides virtually unlimited opportunities for improvement.
Why I should consider a search fund when selling my businessSmall businesses are experiencing a period of unprecedented transition. Baby boomers make up more than 50% of today's business owners. Many are approaching retirement without a firm succession plan in place.
State and local tax: Why are resale certificates are important for your businessResale certificates are a very important part of the state and local sales tax process. Not having the correct certificates on file can land your business in hot water.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Hoffman EstatesWarren, Ocasio-Cortez demand answers on Sears bankruptcy from Mnuchin
- Des PlainesA 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope so
- Des PlainesDes Plaines approves "hotel-style" senior living community downtown
- ElginElgin founder of suburban group of McDonald's franchises remembered as a kind businessman
- Des PlainesDes Plaines recommends tax break for $12.5 million industrial building
- St. CharlesGas station, retail space slated for St. Charles business park
- Mount ProspectAvison Young brokers sale of Mount Prospect buildings
- BusinessHey Nonny names Gore general manager
- Oakbrook TerraceCBRE brokers $21 million retail center sale
- Lake ZurichACCO Brands extends lease on Lake Zurich HQ
- ItascaHamilton Lakes buildings undergo $7 million renovation
- ElginIllinois businesses could face lawsuits for asking about wage history under proposal
- SchaumburgDistrict 211 tries again to sell 62-acre Schaumburg site
- North AuroraNorth Aurora firm recalls 62,000 pounds of beef that may have E. coli
- Lake CountyHundreds of Lake County properties were overtaxed, officials admit