Des Plaines turns to familiar name in suburban entertainment to operate historic theater
A familiar name in suburban Chicago show business could soon be taking over day-to-day operations of the Des Plaines Theatre.
#MeToo backlash? More male managers avoid mentoring women or meeting alone with them, survey says.The problem with this knee-jerk fear, of course, is that to get promoted, younger employees need the kind of informal face time and one-on-one interactions that build trust and develop relationships, giving senior-level managers the confidence to take a risk on promoting them.
How saving and sensible investing can pay for a long, active, comfortable retirementThe key to former newspaperman Gordon Eliot White's comfortable life in his ninth decade is his abiding belief in living beneath your means and saving.
More CEOs were forced out for ethical lapses in 2018 than poor financial performanceThirty-nine percent of the 89 forced CEO departures in 2018 were due to ethical misconduct, which the study defines as the removal of a CEO following a scandal or improper conduct; examples include fraud, bribery, insider trading, environmental disasters, inflated resumes or sexual indiscretions.
She's a top manager, but to the boss, colleagues, she's a 'girl'Microaggressions are hard to call out at work. But over time, those tiny cuts accumulate and drain away your dignity and confidence -- so ignoring them isn't a viable option, either.
Feder: Progressive talk WCPT to lose syndicated morning host Bill PressAnother liberal talk show host is about to leave WCPT 820-AM, the Newsweb Radio progressive talk station, Robert Feder writes.
Analysis: What Apple's Supreme Court loss could mean for Silicon ValleyThe ruling, in which conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's four liberal justices, could open the door for actions against other companies such as Amazon, Google and Microsoft.
Facebook warns advertisers 'clear history' may hurt targetingFacebook Inc. is close to rolling out a long-awaited privacy feature, but issued a warning to advertisers that improved privacy for users will have at least one key trade-off: Weaker targeting.
Google makes new push to bolster travel-related searchesGoogle wants to be a go-to destination in the online travel world like Expedia, Priceline and TripAdvisor.
Google rolls out new data-reliant ad spots days after pledging more privacyJust a week after introducing new privacy controls for its billions of users, Google has a different message for data-hungry advertisers: We have your back.
How much money do you need to be wealthy in America?Rich is relative. Merely having a net worth of $1 million, it seems, doesn't mean you're wealthy.
The 2020 election and U.S. immigrationThere's little doubt that U.S. immigration policy will be a central theme of the 2020 Presidential election. While illegal immigration continues to grab headlines, it's the too often overlooked legal immigration system that also provides virtually unlimited opportunities for improvement.
Why I should consider a search fund when selling my businessSmall businesses are experiencing a period of unprecedented transition. Baby boomers make up more than 50% of today's business owners. Many are approaching retirement without a firm succession plan in place.
State and local tax: Why are resale certificates are important for your businessResale certificates are a very important part of the state and local sales tax process. Not having the correct certificates on file can land your business in hot water.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Des PlainesDes Plaines turns to familiar name in suburban entertainment to operate historic theater
- ElginHow facial surgery helped Elgin woman regain function, confidence
- LibertyvilleHunt for former car leads to Pontiac project
- Des PlainesConstable: New charity gives Des Plaines mom the furniture she needs
- SchaumburgSchaumburg Boomers introduce new dining, drinking venues
- MettawaBrunswick to acquire Freedom Boat Club
- Elk Grove VillageCops and Crime: One in four people who buy online gets counterfeits
- BusinessSkender breaks ground on senior living facility
- NapervilleNaperville father-son team creating app for selling, trading toys
- BusinessMark Cuban shares business life lessons, talks politics with crowd at Judson
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village considering condemnation of Motel 6, auto shop and restaurant
- Rolling MeadowsNic's Organic Fast Food closes in Rolling Meadows, Woodfield Mall
- Wood DalePower Solutions International founder to retire
- BusinessTexas storms push Allstate April catastrophe losses to $290 million
- St. CharlesLee & Associates brokers two sales