Donations accepted for GLMV's Coats For Vets
Anyone with extra winter coats is invited to clean out their closets and donate items to keep veterans in need and their families warm this winter.
To help, a special coat drive is now underway through the Green Oaks, Libertyville, Mundelein, Vernon Hills Chamber of Commerce; T-Mobile-VH; Shurway Movers; area businesses; municipalities; and several veterans' organizations.
For a long time, there has been a local effort to collect coats and raise awareness for Lake County veterans in need and at-risk. Originally, the concept was branded Operation Stand Down, led by the Lake County Veterans Assistance Commission and participating VFW and American Legion Posts.
Initially, the supply of coats came from stores such as Sears, Value City, and Burlington Coat Factory, which all made donations. As those locations began to close, law enforcement and local high schools partnered to collect winter coats and raise awareness of veterans in need and the year-round efforts of the Midwest Veterans Closet.
However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, new collection locations were needed, and after learning of the need from GLMV board member Jon Petrillo, village of Vernon Hills, GLMV knew they had to get involved.
As such, all are welcome to bring any gently-used or new winter coats, jackets, hats, gloves, scarves and other seasonal outerwear to the collection locations listed below. All sizes are accepted.
Donated items will be given to Midwest Veterans Closet in North Chicago for distribution.
"Our coat collection for veterans is an ideal way to show our support and thank our vets for their amazing service," GLMV President Scott Adams said.
Other businesses interested in becoming a collection site, or for more information, contact the GLMV Chamber of Commerce at (847) 680-0750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations are being accepted at the following locations through Nov. 16. Drop-off times may vary by location. Contact each location for their specific drop-off information.
• Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Star Homes, 783 Barron Blvd., Grayslake; (847) 548-2625.
• Centre Club, 200 W. Golf Road, Libertyville; (847) 816-6100.
• DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen, 1000 Butterfield, Vernon Hills; (847) 327-0203.
• Farmers Insurance -- Debbie Solbrig, 616 N. Bridgeport Terrace, Suite F, Lindenhurst; (847) 356-5560.
• Great Lakes Credit Union, 2525 Green Bay Road, North Chicago; (847) 578-7341.
• Integral Medical & Rehab, 870 West End Court, No. 206, Vernon Hills; (224) 424-3147.
• Libertyville Police Department, 200 E. Cook Ave., Libertyville; (847) 362-8310.
• Mundelein Police Department, 221 Lake St., Mundelein; (847) 968-4600.
• Village of Mundelein, 300 Plaza Circle, Mundelein; (847) 949-3200.
• Northside Community Bank, 800 N. Route 83, Mundelein; (847) 837-8883.
• The Tranel Financial Group, 1509 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville; (847) 680-9050.
• Vernon Hills Park District -- Sullivan Center, 635 N. Aspen Drive, Vernon Hills; (847) 996-6800.
• Village of Green Oaks, 2020 O'Plaine Road, Green Oaks; (847) 362-5363.
• Village of Mundelein, 300 Plaza Circle, Mundelein; (847) 849-3200.
• Village of Vernon Hills, 294 Evergreen Drive, Vernon Hills; (847) 367-3700.
• Vernon Hills Municipal Golf Course, 291 Evergreen Drive, Vernon Hills; (847) 680-9310.
• Willow Lawn Memorial Park, Arrowood Pet Cemetery, 24090 N. Route 45, Vernon Hills; (847) 634-3787.
For more information, contact the GLMV Chamber of Commerce at (847) 680-0750 or email@example.com.