Schaumburg electrical meter fire causes $20K damage

 
 
Updated 11/19/2016 10:14 PM

A ComEd electrical meter on a home on the 800 block of Seers Drive in Schaumburg caught fire Saturday afternoon, causing an estimated $20,000 damage to the home's basement and interior, said Battalion Chief Rick Anderson.

Firefighters responded to the scene at about 5 p.m. and Anderson said the fire had spread into the basement.

 

Anderson said the fire was quickly extinguished but could not specify if the meter was a new ComEd "smartmeter" because it was destroyed.

No injuries were reported but the home was rendered uninhabitable, at least for the night, because ComEd had to cut the power to the home, Anderson said.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.