18 families displaced after fire in Schaumburg

Updated 1/24/2016 4:48 PM

Eighteen families were displaced Sunday after electrical meters caught fire and power was shut off at a Schaumburg condominium building, fire officials said.

Residents of the three-story, multifamily building in the 2300 block of John Rolfe Drive noticed smoke coming through their vents about 12:55 p.m., said Angela Walsh, Schaumburg Fire Department public education and information officer.


The building is owned by Fellowship Housing, a nonprofit that offers programs and services for single mothers and their children who are at risk of homelessness, said Associate Director Pam Orr.

The fire was contained to a communal utility room that houses electrical meters and hot water heaters for six of the building's 18 units, Walsh said.

Fire officials initially thought they could isolate that section of the building and shut down the gas, electric and heat for only those six units, she said. After investigating further, she said, they had to shut down the entire building.

"The main reason for displacement is because the power is shut down," Walsh said. "It's not because of damage in their units; it's because of no power."

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Nobody was injured, she said, and fire officials are unsure of how long families may be displaced.

Orr said the organization is trying to find places for the families to live, but declined to comment further.

Red Cross also is helping the families with immediate services, Walsh said.

The Schaumburg Fire Department is investigating the fire.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.