Eight suburban drownings in 2014
• June 8 -- A 49-year-old Melrose Park man drowned on Pistakee Lake near Johnsburg. Authorities say William Trybula was boating on the lake when friends when they decided to jump in for a swim. Trybula disappeared under the water after he and his friends were separated.
• June 14 -- Four-year-old Paulino F. Delle Grazie of St. Charles drowned in a swimming pool at the Royal Fox Country Club. in St. Charles. Police called the boy's death a "personal tragedy."
• June 18 -- A 6-year-old boy from South suburban Justice drowned in a public swimming pool in Bridgewater. Police said Michale Duda was at the pool as part of a park district summer camp program.
• June 22 -- An 86-year-old South Barrington woman fell into her family's pool and drowned in what police called a "terrible, tragic accident." Authorities believe Betty Stas was out for a walk around the pool on a nice day and slipped or fell in.
• June 29 -- Bertil Sollenskog, 77, was found unresponsive at the bottom of his swimming pool in Lake Villa. Authorities said an autopsy confirmed that Sollenskog drowned.
• July 20 -- Emanuel Mendieta-Ramirez of Mount Prospect drowns while he and a friend attempted to swim to an island in the Fox River in Carpentersville. Authorities say the 27-year-old struggled in the river's strong current before going under water.
• July 21 -- Matt Reed drowns in Third Lake during a day of swimming and boating with friends. Authorities say the 16-year-old from Grayslake was in the water for about five minutes before he began struggling.
• July 22 -- Karen Wessel, 47, a single mother of two, died Tuesday after jumping into a northern Wisconsin lake to save the 9-year-old godson of her friend. Three children, one her own, were struggling while swimming from a sandbar back to the shore of Star Lake.