• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Thieves stole 364 ceramic straightening flat irons and 221 ceramic blow dryers between March 19 and May 28 out of a DSC Logistics warehouse, 575 E. Oakton St. The items were to be stored in the warehouse to fill orders for Walmart stores. Value was estimated at $50,765.
• Lukasz L. Kaczmarski, 30, of the 1400 block of Wedgewood Avenue, Des Plaines, was arrested around 10:30 a.m. Aug. 26 outside Taqueria Y Mexican Restaurant, 694 S. Lee St. He was charged with two counts of theft of services after employees told police they saw him eat a meal and leave without paying, then saw him lying on the grass outside the restaurant and called police. The employees told officers he had ordered the same meal Aug. 12 and did not pay for that one either. Total was estimated at $53. Kaczmarski also was charged with obscenity after an employee at the Des Plaines Public Library, 1501 E. Ellinwood St., saw him touching himself while watching pornography on a library computer on Aug. 25 again around 10:20 a.m. Aug. 26, police reports said. His court date is Oct. 4.
• Burglars entered an unlocked detached garage between Aug. 17 and 26 on the 600 block of Webford Avenue, stole a set of golf clubs out of the garage, ransacked two unlocked vehicles in the garage (2013 Volkswagen Jetta and 2012 Volkswagen Golf), pried open the glove boxes and stole coins and a tire gauge out of the Jetta. Loss was estimated at $2,345.
• A Des Plaines man was scammed out of $2,000 when he received a call around 10 a.m. Aug. 26 from a man claiming to work for the IRS. The caller told the victim that he owed the IRS money and that he was subject to arrest unless he made a payment via a Money Pak money transfer. The man sent $2,000 to someone in Dallas, Texas.
• Burglars broke into a 2005 Chevrolet Express van between 11:30 p.m. Aug. 26 and 10 a.m. Aug. 27 and stole 11 power tools. Loss was estimated at $2,860. According to the victim, his van was also burglarized in June, when tools valued at $2,000 were stolen.
• Vandals used black markers to write gang graffiti on a brick wall at the Lake Opeka band shell, 2200 S. Lee St., between midnight and 11:35 p.m. Aug. 27. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Burglars stole cash, and a blue duffel bag with women's clothes, necklace, bracelet, and prescription bottle containing 20 pain pills between 10 p.m. Aug. 26 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 27 out of a 2006 Jeep Cherokee in a driveway on the 700 block of South Laurel Avenue. Value was estimated at $80.
• Thieves stole a black 2008 Honda CBR motorcycle between 10 p.m. Aug. 27 and 6:35 a.m. Aug. 28 out of an apartment lot on the 1100 block of Holiday Lane.
• Burglars stole cash and a GPS out of an unlocked 2007 Chevrolet Suburban and an iPod out of an unlocked 2013 Volvo sedan between 2:30 and 6:30 a.m. Aug. 24 in a driveway on the 400 block of South I-Oka Avenue. Value was estimated at $320.
• Burglars stole a purse valued at $50 between 4:50 and 5:12 p.m. Aug. 26 out of an unlocked 2008 Chevrolet Malibu in a grocery store lot at 1042 S. Elmhurst Road.
• Thieves stole a medallion between 2 and 8:30 p.m. Aug. 26 from a 2011 Toyota Prius in an apartment lot on the 2300 block of South Lexington Drive. Value was estimated at $50.
• Maria De Jesus Cisneros-Silva, 56, of the 1400 block of Willow Avenue, Des Plaines, was arrested around 12:25 p.m. Aug. 24 at Kohl's, 1500 S. Elmhurst Road, and charged with local ordinance retail theft after a security agent told police she took two pairs of earrings, a 2-piece dress, tank top, and children's socks; value was estimated at $101. Her court date is Sept. 13.