Elk Grove Village man accused in bombing plot unfit to stand trial

  • Gregory Arthur Weiler II

    Gregory Arthur Weiler II

Associated Press
Updated 4/3/2013 5:06 PM

A former Elk Grove Village man accused of plotting to firebomb dozens of Oklahoma churches with Molotov cocktails is incompetent to stand trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

The decision by U.S. Magistrate Paul J. Cleary means Gregory Arthur Weiler II will undergo more evaluation and possible treatment, with the goal of making him well enough to stand trial.


Weiler, 24, a 2007 graduate of Elk Grove High School, is accused of planning to destroy 48 churches in northeastern Oklahoma and preparing to launch the attacks from a tiny motel near Interstate 44 in Miami, Okla. He was captured in October.

Weiler's family told the Daily Herald in October that he hadn't been in contact much since he left home after graduation. He later joined "an organization" in which members call the leader "father," according to a family member.

Weiler had been battling mental illness for years but had it under control with medication during high school, where he was on the football and wrestling teams, according to a family member. Both his parents committed suicide.

Weiler has pleaded not guilty to one count of possessing an unregistered, destructive device, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Weiler's federal public defender, Stephen Greubel, has said in court documents that his client has been diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder, and has been hospitalized numerous times over the past five years for mental health issues.

After Cleary issued his ruling, Weiler gave a rambling, incoherent speech.

"I would really like it if people open their eyes to what's occurred in this country in the past six months," said Weiler, who was shackled and was dressed in a black-and-white jail uniform.

He uttered a profanity at one point and then asked the judge if he was familiar with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington before someone yanked the microphone away.

Weiler could spend up to four months in treatment at a federal prison facility before he is re-evaluated.

Greubel declined to comment on his client's case outside the courtroom.


Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Cyran indicated his office agreed with Cleary's decision.

Investigators say they searched Weiler's motel room in October after two apartment maintenance men found a duffel bag in a trash bin behind the motel that contained bomb-making materials, such as bottles and a gas can. Authorities say they discovered instructions on how to make Molotov cocktails and hand-drawn sketches of the targeted churches.

• Daily Herald staff contributed.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.