Fifteen freshman members of the Illinois General Assembly will be part of Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon's new Firearms Working Group.
Simon announced the members on Tuesday. They include 13 Democrats and two Republicans from around the state. Simon says the group will meet with people on both sides of the gun control debate to better inform legislation.
Contact information ( * required )
Simon said Tuesday that both the Illinois State Rifle Association and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence plan to meet with members to talk about concealed carry legislation.
A federal appeals court panel ruled last month that Illinois' ban on concealed weapons is unconstitutional. Attorney General Lisa Madigan is appealing the ruling. But lawmakers still face a deadline to pass a bill legalizing concealed carry.
Suburban members of the group include:
• Sen. Melinda Bush, a Grayslake Democrat.
• Sen. Thomas Cullerton, a Villa Park Democrat.
• Sen. Julie Morrison, a Deerfield Democrat.
• Rep. Kathleen Willis, an Addison Democrat.
• Rep. Sam Yingling, a Round Lake Beach Democrat.